Bachelor of Science (Honours) Agricultural Science
What is Agricultural Science?
Agricultural Science is the application of science and other disciplines (e.g. business) to the production of quality food. It encompasses a wide range of services provided to farmers and other food producers to ensure quality standards and profitable production systems.
What is the BSc (Hons) in Agricultural Science course?
The purpose of the course is to prepare students for a career in the areas of agricultural science and agri-business. Graduates will have a strong background in the areas of science, food, agriculture, the environment, business and quality assurance. Self-management, team working, business awareness, problem solving, land management and communication are all areas which will be strongly incorporated into the main core of this level 8 programme.
Stamp duty exemption
This course fulfils the requirements for stamp duty exemption for land transfer for young farmers (Green Cert.)
BSc (Hons) in Agricultural Science placement
In the second semester of year 3, students can choose between a farm placement or an industrial placement.
- The Farm placement is designed to give the student experience of practical farming on a high quality farm. The placement aims to allow learners to apply and develop their knowledge and skills. The farm placement is organised by Teagasc and the student will be placed on a mixed farm enterprise in order to gain a broad experience of farming. The student will be monitored by the host farmer, by Teagasc staff and the student will keep a reflective work log. Students are also encouraged to seek placements overseas e.g. New Zealand, UK. The completion of a work log will develop the student’s ability to engage in reflective learning.
- The Industrial Placement will allow learners to apply and develop their skills in the agri-food industry. Students will be placed for work experience for a minimum of 15 weeks during semester 2 of year 3. The industrial placement will be organised by WIT and monitored by the employer, WIT staff with the student keeping a reflective work log. The placement is designed to meet the needs of industry whilst providing the student with a broader skills-base. It is envisaged that the practical element of employment will complement the course content and help develop skills that are essential in today’s work environment. The industrial placement will be organised by WIT staff and monitored by the employer and WIT staff with the student keeping a reflective work log. The completion of a reflective work log will develop the student’s ability to engage in reflective learning.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
WIT’s award-winning Careers Development Centre is the main point of contact for:
- Students and graduates, helping you explore your options, develop your employability skills and make successful job applications
- Academic Staff, supporting you to equip your students with the skills they need to enhance their employability and succeed in their future careers
- Employers interested in securing the recruitment of well educated, career orientated, informed graduates
The Careers Development Centre supports the Institute in providing opportunities for students and graduates to develop the skills and attributes required to manage their careers throughout their working lives.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- You should be at least 17 years of age in January of the year of entry.
- You must have a Secondary/High School Diploma, with good grades in English and Mathematics and at least 4 other subjects, on average + 60%.
- Some courses have special entry requirements, which you should check under the course details.
For More Information Please Connect Our PSA Counselor
- Course Code: WD191
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 7650 EUR
Application Fee: 50 EUR
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Creative Computing at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science Multimedia Applications Development at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Software Systems Development at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science Software Systems Development at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Computer Forensics and Security at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Applied Computing (Media Development) at Waterford Institute of Technology