Master of Education in Reading & Language
The Master's of Education (M.Ed. 30 credits) and Education Specialist (Ed.S. 30 credits) degrees programs are approved for reading licensure for those candidates who work and are licensed in Massachusetts.
The program is approved by the Massachusetts Department of Education for licensure as a Reading Specialist. For Massachusetts teachers, the degrees culminate in a two-semester practicum and lead to reading licensure.
As the degrees are online, out-of-state students benefit from the coursework, but cannot be endorsed by UMass Lowell for licensure in any state including Massachusetts. For Massachusetts teachers, the degrees culminate in a two-semester practicum and lead to reading licensure.
We do not offer licensure programs for candidates who work in other states and these degrees culminate in either the Ed.S. seminar or the M.Ed. capstone and not in a practicum.
UMass Lowell is located in historic mill city of Lowell, Mass., 45-minutes north of Boston, at the intersections of Routes 495, 93 and 3. The birthplace of Jack Kerouac and the Industrial Revolution, Lowell's history echoes all around you. Former mill buildings and cobblestone streets now add charm to a bustling downtown, steps away from the UMass Lowell campus, which boasts a thriving arts scene, a population rich in cultural diversity, and a flair for festivals.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
3 Years of PSW
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Successful applicants must submit proof of a valid teaching license in one of the following four areas:
- Elementary Education
- Teaching Students with Moderate Disabilities
- Early Childhood Education
- In addition, candidates must have at least one year of classroom teaching experience and be currently teaching in the area of their initial license.
Applicants must submit:
- Application cover sheet
- Application fee
- Three letters of recommendation (including at least one from an administrator)
- A personal statement of purpose
- Resume including an indication of place and scope of current employment
- All official transcripts. Applicants are expected to have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 in undergraduate work.
- Proof of teaching license in the appropriate field
Statement of Purpose
In a separate document, submit a brief statement indicating your immediate and long-range goals, relevant work history, academic honors/awards received, any teaching experience and/or research conducted/published that may be pertinent to your graduate program. Two pages recommended maximum.
Letters of Recommendation
You are required to submit three (3) letters of recommendation. You will be asked to provide (names and email addresses) referees during the application process and an automated request will be sent out after the completion of your application.
Provide a complete and official transcript from the institution that awarded or will award you a bachelor’s degree. You may also include transcripts from other institutions at which you have taken relevant coursework. Please note that waiting for additional transcripts may delay review of your application.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 12000 USD
Application Fee: 50 USD
- Master of Education in Higher Education Administration at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master of Education in Education Administration at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction: Initial Teacher Certification at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction: Science Education at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction: Applied Behavior Analysis and Education at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master's in Criminal Justice at University of Massachusetts Lowell