Bachelor of Philosophy / Bachelor of Theology
Engaging in subject areas as diverse as Sacramental and Moral Theology, Critical Thinking, Metaphysics and Philosophy of the Human Person, this double degree provides a comprehensive education in both philosophy and theology. In this degree, not only will you learn about philosophy and theology within the Western tradition of thought, but you will also graduate knowing how to think, reason and argue at an advanced level – skills that are in high demand along any career path you choose, and in all walks of life. The Bachelor of Philosophy/Bachelor of Theology provides opportunity to study these interrelated disciplines within the context of the Catholic University and Catholic Tradition. Modelled on the Ratio for Australia and in response to the 2011 Decree on the Reform of Ecclesiastical Studies of Philosophy, this program offers the unique chance to all students to follow the requirements for seminarians and those pursuing religious education.
The Bachelor of Philosophy/Bachelor of Theology epitomises The University of Notre Dame Australia’s commitment to Catholic principles of thought as it combines a detailed study of both philosophy and theology. Designed to be completed over five years of full-time study, this comprehensive degree investigates the history of Western philosophy as it constantly engages with ideas of theological significance. You will delve into foundational philosophical principles while at the same time exploring the teachings and traditions of the Church in Catholic Theology. This degree will take you from the beginnings of Western thought in Ancient philosophy, all the way through the medieval and modern periods, so that you can then grapple with contemporary philosophical and theological issues.
The study of theology takes you to the heart of the Catholic tradition, so that you learn about the development of the Church. You will be encouraged to reflect philosophically and theologically, using appropriate methods that enable investigation of the history of ideas, up to the present day, and Scripture and Tradition, so as to contemplate the Trinity, the life and teachings of Christ, and ways in which faith and reason constantly work together and enrich each other.
Upon graduation, you may pursue a wide variety of careers, including academic research, teaching, foreign affairs, public administration, policy development, advocacy, social work, journalism, advertising, Church ministry and politics.
Our foundation Campus is located in the historic West End of the port city of Fremantle, south of Perth. Housed within beautifully restored heritage buildings, it provides a ‘town university’ of great character. The iconic Campus is close to the Fremantle Harbour, cafe?s, shops and the famous ‘Cappuccino Strip’, and all major transport hubs.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
The following careers are open to graduates of this program:
- Academic teaching
- Public libraries
- Research institutes
- Church ministry and agencies
- Parish adult faith programs
- Education and teaching (upon completion of a graduate-entry teaching qualification)
- International diplomacy
- Trade missions
- Script writing
- Catholic and Christian schools
- Pastoral counselling
- Religious education coordination
- Youth work
Sydney / Melbourne / Brisbane:
Regular 2 years post study work visa for international students completing Bachelors and Masters degrees (minimum 92 weeks), 3 years for Masters by Research and 4 years for PhD. graduates
Other Locations (Regional centres and other regional areas):
International students studying at regional universities will be eligible to access an additional
2 years in Australia on a post-study work visa
(Which means a Bachelors or Masters graduate can get up to 4 years of PSW visa)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- India Senior School Certificate (ICSE) awarded by CBSE/CISCE/NIOS
> TIER 1 - 65% overall for best 4 academic subjects.
> TIER 2 - 75% overall for best 4 academic subjects.
> TIER 3 - 80% overall for best 4 academic subjects.
- Higher Secondary Certificate (awarded by State Boards except Punjab State Board)
> TIER 1 - 75% overall for best 4 academic subjects
> TIER 2 - 80% overall for best 4 academic subjects.
> TIER 2 - 85% overall for best 4 academic subjects.
> Tier 1 refers to undergraduate programs in the following schools:
- School of Arts & Sciences
- School of Business
- School of Health Sciences
- School of Nursing
- School of Education (Sydney; Primary and Early Childhood programs, Fremantle)
> Tier 2 refers to undergraduate programs in the following schools:
- School of Education (Secondary degrees & double degrees, Fremantle)
>Tier 3 refers to undergraduate programs in the following schools:
- School of Law
- School of Physiotherapy
Applicants with Vocational Education and Training (VET) study
- Completed AQF Certificate IV or higher in a relevant discipline, from an accredited provider such as TAFE or a Registered Training Organisation (RTO).
Applicants with Work and Life Experience
Applicants who left secondary education more than two years previously and who have not undertaken VET or higher education study since then, but with relevant work and life experience. Such experience may include, but is not limited to:
- STAT scores of at least 135 in the Multiple Choice section and 140 in the Written English section are required
- Mature-age completion of two Year 12 WACE or HSC exams with a resulting ATAR of 70 or above
- Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) or equivalent results if these have been completed within the last 5 years.
- Course Code: 085835J
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 05 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Science (Major: Environmental Management) at The University of Notre Dame Australia
- Bachelor of Science (Major: Biology) at The University of Notre Dame Australia
- Bachelor of Nursing at The University of Notre Dame Australia
- Bachelor of Arts (Major: Philosophy) at The University of Notre Dame Australia
- Bachelor of Arts (Major: Archaeology) at The University of Notre Dame Australia
- Bachelor of Arts (Major: Applied Psychology) at The University of Notre Dame Australia