Bachelor of Education (Primary)
Explore all areas of the primary curriculum and build a solid understanding of what it takes to make a difference as a primary school educator, with a Bachelor of Education (Primary) at Deakin. From mathematics to science, visual arts to technology, you’ll learn how to guide children through their primary years learning – and graduate qualified to teach from grades prep to Year 6.
Are you interested in an exciting and rewarding career teaching primary school aged children?
Gain the knowledge, skills, and values required to teach young people. You’ll graduate as a professional educator, able to demonstrate classroom readiness, and make a difference in students’ learning.
The Professional Experience Program is a key part of every Deakin teaching student’s course experience. Working with more than 1400 schools across Australia, we’ll arrange at least 80 days of placements for you in schools where you’ll learn from experienced teachers. Students also have access to specialized teaching spaces on campus to help you prepare for classroom teaching. Choose a specialization and develop advanced skills in a priority area of the primary curriculum, such as:
- health and physical education
- language and literacy
- mathematics and numeracy
- special education needs
- visual arts.
The Melbourne Burwood Campus is Deakin’s largest. A short trip from Melbourne’s central business district, Burwood offers the perfect balance between city lifestyle and suburban comfort. On campus you will find impressive buildings and world-class facilities, a wide range of learning and social spaces, and a relaxed atmosphere. If you enjoy getting outdoors between classes, the Melbourne Burwood Campus also sits alongside parkland, which is great for walking, jogging and cycling.
Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
At Deakin’s Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus, you are surrounded by expansive grounds and impressive new buildings. It offers state-of-the-art engineering, medical and sport facilities, as well as some of the most advanced research spaces in the world. The campus also features incredible sporting facilities, including Deakin’s Elite Sport Precinct, which includes an Australian rules football oval, FIFA-grade soccer pitch, athletics track, basketball courts, and more.
Deakin's Warrnambool Campus is set on the banks of the picturesque Hopkins River, close to local surf beaches and popular tourist attractions. The 94 hectare site is approximately five kilometres from the centre of Warrnambool CBD, serviced by the Princes Highway and by its own railway station and bus services. Warrnambool has a population of about 34,000 and is roughly 250 kilometres west of Melbourne.
Application Processing Time in Days: 5
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Studying a Bachelor of Education (Primary) will equip you with the skills and knowledge for a successful career in education. Upon graduation you’ll be ready to teach in primary schools within the private, independent, IB schools or public education sectors.
Graduates may also find work in other fields including:
- community services
- government agencies
- not-for-profit organisations
- IB accredited primary schools.
- Melbourne Campus - 2 years of Post Study Work Permit
- Geelong/ Warrnambool Campus - 3 years of Post Study Work Permit
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- (standard class XII):- 65%
Entry for applicants with recent secondary education (previous three years) will be based on:
- Minimum ATAR of 70 in 2019
- VCE Units 1 and 2 of General Mathematics or Maths: Mathematical Methods or Maths: Specialist Mathematics, or Units 3 and 4 of Mathematics (any)
- a study score of at least 35 in English EAL (English as an additional language) or 25 in English other than EAL
Entry for applicants with previous Tertiary, VET, life, or work experience will be based on:
- evidence of academic capability equivalent to an ATAR of 70 OR
- successful completion of STAT OR
- Successful completion of Associate Degree of Education (E200)
All Applicants must complete an additional selection tool for non-academic attributes. Deakin University is using the CASPer test. CASPer is an online, video-scenario based situational judgment test, designed to measure non-academic suitability for teaching.
When you apply to Deakin, it’s important to attach all requested supporting documentation, otherwise, your application could be delayed or disallowed.
Remember, most documents need to be certified before you upload them, so give yourself plenty of time to get organized.
Examples of certified copies you’ll need to include:
- award certificates
- academic transcripts
- formal identity papers (e.g. your passport).
Documents in languages other than English will need to be translated. If you’re applying for a scholarship, please also check the specific supporting documents for that application.
- Course Code: 015204J
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of International Studies at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Criminology/Bachelor of Cyber Security at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Property and Real Estate/Bachelor of Laws at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Criminology/Bachelor of Laws at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Laws at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Criminology at Deakin University