Doctor of Physical Therapy
The UMass Lowell Doctor of Physical Therapy program prepares students to diagnose and treat movement dysfunction to help people live healthier lives. Supporting the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) core values as demonstrated throughout the curriculum, our program aligns with the vision of the APTA to transform society by optimizing movement to improve the human experience.
The curriculum includes 95 credits of coursework and 34 weeks of clinical education experience. It provides a comprehensive foundation in the art and science of physical therapy. Methods of instruction include classroom lecture and discussion, small group/problem-based learning, and skill development during laboratory and clinical experiences. Emphasis is placed on the development of clinical decision-making and critical inquiry skills across the curriculum.
UMass Lowell is located in historic mill city of Lowell, Mass., 45-minutes north of Boston, at the intersections of Routes 495, 93 and 3. The birthplace of Jack Kerouac and the Industrial Revolution, Lowell's history echoes all around you. Former mill buildings and cobblestone streets now add charm to a bustling downtown, steps away from the UMass Lowell campus, which boasts a thriving arts scene, a population rich in cultural diversity, and a flair for festivals.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
3 Years of PSW
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Minimum Admission Requirements
- Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited university or college within the past 10 years.
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater.
- Prerequisite Science GPA of 3.0 or greater.
- Graduate Record Examination, within the last 5 years: > 290 combined. (quantitative + verbal) (GRE Code = 3911)
- Documented personal experience in a physical therapy setting (volunteer or paid). Minimum of 35 hours
- Statement of Purpose (essay)
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation, one (1) of which must be submitted by a licensed physical therapist.
- Computer literacy in word, excel, PowerPoint, etc., is expected.
- Required prerequisites coursework:
- Pharmacology (200 level course > 2 credits
- Anatomy and Physiology with labs, 2 semesters ***
- Chemistry with labs, 2 semesters ***
- Physics with labs, 2 semesters ***
- Exercise Physiology (upper-level [300+] course)
- Kinesiology / Biomechanics (upper-level [300+] course)
*** Must be taken in a traditional (on-campus/classroom) setting.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Doctoral Degree/PhD
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 12000 USD
Application Fee: 60 USD
- Ph.D. in Radiological Sciences at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Ph.D. in Polymer Science at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Ph.D. in Physics at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Ph.D. in Nursing at University of Massachusetts Lowell