Master of Local Government
The Master of Local Government provides professionals, managers and leaders in local government with an advanced body of knowledge and skills to reflect critically on theory and practice. This enables them to apply this knowledge in their roles in strategic thinking, planning and shaping local communities.
The course provides graduates with an evidence-based learning approach to build a high level of influence and leadership in their local government workplace. The course, which is informed by the research and capacity-building activities of the UTS Centre for Local Government, provides an interdisciplinary program with teaching and learning activities ranging across and beyond the faculty. An education program is developed to match the requirements of each participant's individual requirements, and subjects can be studied through intensive block release or in some cases through online delivery mode.
As a City campus, UTS not only offers a range of great services and facilities across our buildings, but across our vibrant, local precinct. For a snapshot of everything our campus and precinct has to offer - including where all the cafes are at UTS
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
The course is highly suited to professionals wishing to progress their careers as senior managers and leaders of local councils. It is also highly recommended for public administrators and policymakers from other tiers of government, and managers from the non-government sector who partner on a regular basis with local government and wish to better understand the principles and practices of local governance.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised bachelor's degree, or an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate studies.
Applicants must have one of the following:
- a UTS recognised Bachelor's degree or equivalent, or higher qualification, or
- a UTS Graduate Diploma in Local Government Management with a credit average, or
- a UTS Graduate Certificate in Local Government Leadership with a credit average, or
- a UTS Graduate Certificate in Development Assessment with a credit average.
Applications based on a UTS recognised bachelor's degree, or equivalent or higher qualification must provide the following:
- a personal statement (max. 300 words) addressing their reasons for wanting to undertake the Master of Local Government, and
- a CV clearly articulating local government sector-related work with a minimum experience of five years.
Applicants who do not satisfy the academic requirements may be considered on their ability to demonstrate equivalency through a minimum of five years' relevant work experience.
Applicants need to provide:
- a CV clearly articulating relevant experience
- a Personal Statement (max. 300 words) explaining the reasons for wanting to study the Master of Local Government. If applicable, detail should be provided about general or professional qualifications that demonstrate potential to pursue graduate studies.
Minimum English Language Requirements
- Academic IELTS: 6.5 overall with a writing score of 6.0;
- TOEFL: paper based: 550-583 overall with TWE of 4.5, internet based: 79-93 overall with a writing score of 21;
- AE5: Pass;
- PTE: 58-64;
- CAE: 176-184
- Course Code: 087647G
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year 06 Month
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Master of Genetic Counselling (Research) at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Learning Analytics (Research) at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Executive Master of Strategic Communication at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Laws (Research) at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Legal Studies at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Laws at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)