Bachelor of Science Food Science with Business
What is Food Science?
Food science is the multidisciplinary study of food ingredients and food products. Food scientists have a role in all aspects of the food chain from production at farm level to consumption. They use their scientific knowledge to ensure that the production, processing, preservation, evaluation, and distribution of food are efficient and safe.
What is the BSc in Food Science with Business?
This is a three year full time course is designed to train you in modern food processing methods, food safety management, analytical testing relevant to the food industry. The programme also incorporates a range of business skills to allow you have knowledge of the financial and management environment for the food industry.
What subjects will I study?
At the outset there is a strong emphasis on the sciences such as biology, chemistry and physics to provide you with a good basis for the following years. In years 2 and 3 you will study specialist modules in food chemistry, processing, microbiology and quality management. You will also study modules in business, marketing and regulation giving you skills and knowledge to work in many sectors of the food industry.
What are the unique features of BSc in Food Science with Business?
You will learn key practical skills in WIT laboratories, which are highly valued by employers in the food industry. You will also learn quality management systems relevant to the food industry in addition to a range of business skills. Our close links with industry ensure that you will be trained in all the current technologies used in the Irish food industry. In year 3 students complete an industrial placement to allow learners to apply and develop their skills in the food industry.
BSc in Food Science with Business industrial placement
A twelve week industrial placement in the food industry occurs in the third year of the course. This is supported by our food industry partners and is seen as critical to the overall learning experience and development of the students. The industrial placement will be organised by WIT staff and monitored by both the employer and WIT staff, with the student keeping a reflective work log. Work placement can be organised for Ireland or abroad.
The Industrial Placement will allow learners to apply and develop their skills in the food industry. The placement is designed to meet the needs of industry whilst providing the student with a broader skills-base. It is envisaged that the practical element of employment will complement the course content and help develop skills that are essential in today’s work environment.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
WIT’s award-winning Careers Development Centre is the main point of contact for:
- Students and graduates, helping you explore your options, develop your employability skills and make successful job applications
- Academic Staff, supporting you to equip your students with the skills they need to enhance their employability and succeed in their future careers
- Employers interested in securing the recruitment of well educated, career orientated, informed graduates
The Careers Development Centre supports the Institute in providing opportunities for students and graduates to develop the skills and attributes required to manage their careers throughout their working lives.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- You should be at least 17 years of age in January of the year of entry.
- You must have a Secondary/High School Diploma, with good grades in English and Mathematics and at least 4 other subjects, on average + 60%.
- Some courses have special entry requirements, which you should check under the course details.
For More Information Please Connect Our PSA Counselor
- Course Code: WD164
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 7650 EUR
Application Fee: 50 EUR
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Creative Computing at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science Multimedia Applications Development at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Software Systems Development at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science Software Systems Development at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Computer Forensics and Security at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Applied Computing (Media Development) at Waterford Institute of Technology