Bachelor of Forensic Science
Deakin’s Bachelor of Forensic Science exposes you to the full scope of modern forensic science, from simulated crime scenes to courtroom presentations. With a strong focus on practical training, you’ll graduate with the skills needed to use scientific evidence to solve crimes.
Want to study at the only university in Australia to offer a professionally accredited forensic science course?
Learn to confidently examine, interpret, and present forensic evidence, by building a foundational knowledge of the science behind forensics. You can customize your degree to your interests by selecting a major in forensic biology or forensic chemistry. You’ll then learn how to apply modern forensic analysis in authentic environments like Deakin’s purpose-built crime scene training facility. With a kitchen, lounge room, and bedroom set, this flexible facility lets you simulate almost any type of scenario.
Put yourself in the shoes of a forensic scientist and get hands-on experience taking your investigation from the crime scene to the courtroom. You’ll go from evidence collection to laboratory analysis, interpretation of results, communication of your findings, and culminate in the presentation of your evidence in a ‘moot court’.
Explore a range of disciplines throughout your course, including:
- arson and explosives investigations
- analysis of illicit drugs
- DNA analysis
- bloodstain pattern analysis
This course aims to provide students with a holistic experience of their role as forensic analysts. You will have the opportunity to visit a court, a crime scene, and participate in a ‘moot court’ which allows students to experience a simulated courtroom environment.
Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
At Deakin’s Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus, you are surrounded by expansive grounds and impressive new buildings. It offers state-of-the-art engineering, medical and sport facilities, as well as some of the most advanced research spaces in the world. The campus also features incredible sporting facilities, including Deakin’s Elite Sport Precinct, which includes an Australian rules football oval, FIFA-grade soccer pitch, athletics track, basketball courts, and more.
Application Processing Time in Days: 5
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Through your extensive practical training, you’ll graduate with the technical and soft skills needed to thrive in a range of areas including:
- forensic laboratories
- insurance investigations
- risk analysis
- research science
- government institutions
- chemical, biological, food, and pharmaceutical industries.
- Geelong/ Warrnambool Campus - 3 years of Post Study Work Permit
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- (standard class XII):- 65%
Entry for applicants with recent secondary education (previous three years) will be based on their performance in a Senior Secondary Certificate of Education, with pre-requisite units 3 and 4; a study score of at least 25 in English EAL (English as an additional language) or 20 in English other than EAL. Applicants will be selected in accordance with the published Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) for that year.
Entry for applicants with previous Tertiary, VET, life, or work experience will be based on their performance in:
- a Certificate IV in a related discipline OR
- a Diploma in any discipline or 50% completion of a Diploma in a related discipline OR
- successful completion of relevant study at an accredited higher education institution equivalent to at least two Deakin University units OR
- other evidence of academic capability judged to be equivalent for example relevant work or life experience
Mandatory student checks
Any unit which contains work-integrated learning, a community placement, or interaction with the community may require a police check, Working with Children Check, or another check.
When you apply to Deakin, it’s important to attach all requested supporting documentation, otherwise, your application could be delayed or disallowed.
Remember, most documents need to be certified before you upload them, so give yourself plenty of time to get organized.
Examples of certified copies you’ll need to include:
- award certificates
- academic transcripts
- formal identity papers (e.g. your passport).
Documents in languages other than English will need to be translated. If you’re applying for a scholarship, please also check the specific supporting documents for that application.
- Course Code: 073106G
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Marine Science at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Public Health and Health Promotion (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Health Sciences/Bachelor of Arts at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Health Sciences (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Forensic Science/Bachelor of Criminology at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) at Deakin University