Bachelor of Nutrition Science (Dietetics Pathway)
Deakin’s Bachelor of Nutrition Science (Dietetics Pathway) offers guaranteed entry into our Master of Dietetics if you achieve a 75 weighted average mark or above. The course develops your understanding of human nutrition and its impact on health. Learn how to tackle challenges facing our society including disease prevention, obesity, the spread of misinformation, and the social and physiological effects of food on our wellbeing.
Put theory into practice in our state-of-the-art food sensory labs located within our Centre for Advanced Sensory Science. Designed just like those found in industry settings, our labs provide hands-on experience that prepares you for the workplace. Graduate with practical skills that allow you to improve health through food and nutrition – skills that are increasingly in demand as society grapples with nutrition-related diseases and their impact on wellbeing.
Want to have a real impact on population health and improve the wellbeing of communities?
This course offers the same structure and units as our Bachelor of Nutrition Science while ensuring dietetics prerequisites are incorporated as core units, to fulfill the entry requirements for the Master of Dietetics. Graduates will receive an offer to study in the Master of Dietetics after completing the necessary units and meeting the weighted average mark (WAM) requirement
The Melbourne Burwood Campus is Deakin’s largest. A short trip from Melbourne’s central business district, Burwood offers the perfect balance between city lifestyle and suburban comfort. On campus you will find impressive buildings and world-class facilities, a wide range of learning and social spaces, and a relaxed atmosphere. If you enjoy getting outdoors between classes, the Melbourne Burwood Campus also sits alongside parkland, which is great for walking, jogging and cycling.
Application Processing Time in Days: 5
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Career skills are developed throughout the course. Specific Work-integrated learning is offered as an elective from the second year of study. Students can enroll in HSN227 Volunteering in Exercise and Nutrition Sciences or HSN311 Food and Nutrition Practicum. We encourage students to undertake a placement to enable them to gain hands-on experience and a pathway to their future careers. Upon graduating from H718 Master of Dietetics (subject to course rules) students are well placed to pursue careers in all areas of dietetics.
- Melbourne Campus - 2 years of Post Study Work Permit
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Applicants should have successfully completed a Senior Secondary Certificate of Education, including Units 3 and 4: a study score of at least 30 in English (EAL) or at least 25 in English other than EAL.
Entry will be based on performance in:
- Senior Secondary Certificate of Education with ATAR of at least 50 or equivalent
- Certificate IV in a related discipline
- Diploma in any discipline or 50% completion of Diploma in a related discipline
- Successful completion of relevant study – equivalent to at least two Deakin University units – at an accredited higher education institution
- Evidence of academic capability judged to be equivalent, including Foundation program approved by Faculty Board, or relevant work or life experience
Mandatory student checks
HSN227 and HSN311, which are both elective, work-integrated learning units, require a community placement or interaction with the community. These units may require a police check and working with children check. Refer to the relevant unit guide for further details.
When you apply to Deakin, it’s important to attach all requested supporting documentation, otherwise, your application could be delayed or disallowed.
Remember, most documents need to be certified before you upload them, so give yourself plenty of time to get organized.
Examples of certified copies you’ll need to include:
- award certificates
- academic transcripts
- formal identity papers (e.g. your passport).
Documents in languages other than English will need to be translated. If you’re applying for a scholarship, please also check the specific supporting documents for that application.
- Course Code: 0101098
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Marine Science at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Public Health and Health Promotion (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Health Sciences/Bachelor of Arts at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Health Sciences (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Forensic Science/Bachelor of Criminology at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) at Deakin University