Bachelor of Biomedical Science
Biomedical scientists study how the body works, investigate how disease or injury interferes with normal function, and develop new treatment strategies that help restore function. Skilled in using a variety of cutting-edge technologies, biomedical scientists have been responsible for major health advances including the development of vaccines, antibiotics, and stem cell therapies.
Customize your degree
Our flexible course design means you can shape your course to suit your interests and career aspirations. Choose your major area of study from the list below.
Build practical skills in dissection, histology, medical image interpretation, and organ identification. Examine real examples from QUT’s extensive skeletal collection, film library, pathology museum, and human donor material.
Cell and molecular biotechnology
Study the cellular and molecular mechanisms that operate in normal and diseased tissues. Undertake laboratory research projects in cancer biology, tissue engineering, human stem cells, and systems biology.
Study the structure, function, and properties of biomolecules and the molecular machinery that regulates the everyday workings of healthy cells and tissues, the molecular basis of diseases, and how diagnostic technologies and treatment strategies impact on biochemical processes in the cellular context.
Knowledge about the human body and how its systems work to maintain our health is essential to understanding the basis of disease, diagnostic technologies, and treatments. Design and undertake a laboratory-based research project in human physiology.
Infection and immunity
Develop knowledge and understanding of infectious disease agents (bacteria, viruses, yeasts, fungi, and parasites) and how they cause human disease, together with cutting-edge strategies of diagnosis, treatment, control, and prevention.
Gardens Point campus is located in Brisbane's city centre, beside the Brisbane River and adjacent to the City Botanic Gardens and Queensland Parliament House. At the centre of the campus is the Old Government House which was built in 1862 and re-opened in 2009.The faculties of Business, Law, and Science and Engineering are based at this campus.
Application Processing Time in Days: 40
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Careers and outcomes
Our graduates are employed locally, nationally, and overseas and work for research institutes, universities, hospitals, and biotechnology companies. There are increasing opportunities in consultancy, science journalism, and companies involved in the development and marketing of new diagnostic and treatment products. This course also provides a solid grounding for you to pursue postgraduate study in medicine and other health disciplines.
Graduates who complete the clinical physiology minor as part of their studies may also work as a sleep scientist, neuroscientist, respiratory scientists, or cardiac scientists.
This course also provides a solid grounding for students wishing to pursue postgraduate study in medicine and allied health. The postgraduate study provides graduates with the opportunity to pursue leadership and management roles in biomedical science, and the knowledge and skills to operate their own research lab and create new products.
- Biomedical Laboratory Officer
- Biomedical Science Researcher
- Biotechnology Scientist
- Cardiac and Vascular Scientist
- Health Researcher
- Laboratory Assistant
- Laboratory Technician
- Medical Equipment Sales
- Medicine (after further study)
- Reproductive Technician
- Respiratory Scientist
- Sleep Scientist
- Students who graduate with a Bachelors's degree are eligible for a 2-year work visa.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Senior/Higher Secondary School Certificate/Pre-University certificate from QUT recognized state education boards with an overall average of 75% in best five academic subjects (2 languages and 3 academic subjects), excluding physical education.
- Indian School Certificate academic stream awarded by CISCE with an overall average of 60% in the best five academic subjects (two languages and three academic subjects), excluding physical education.
- All India Senior School Certificate academic stream awarded by CBSE with an overall average of 60% in the best five academic subjects (two languages and three academic subjects), excluding physical education.
- Biology (Units 3 & 4, C)
- Chemistry (Units 3 & 4, C)
- Mathematical Methods (Units 3 & 4, C)
You must have achieved this study at a level comparable to Australian Year 12 or in recognized post-secondary studies.
There are requirements that you will need to meet as a student in this course. You will need to identify these requirements and ensure you allow sufficient time to meet them. Some of these requirements have associated costs.
Blue card: You must undergo a criminal history check for working with children and be issued with a suitability card (blue card) before commencing clinical placement/practicum in an organization where they may work with children or young people.
The processing of your application may take several months so you must submit your blue card application to HiQ as early as possible to ensure you have your card before you begin any unit that requires contact with children. There is no charge for student blue cards. Students who already have a blue card must register it with QUT.
- Course Code: 052768K
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 24505 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Bachelor of Data Science at Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science/Bachelor of Mathematics at Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Mathematics (Honours) at Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Mathematics (Applied and Computational Mathematics) at Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science at Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Honours) at Queensland University of Technology