MRes + PhD in Application of Artificial Intelligence to the study of Environmental Risks
The UKRI Centre for Doctoral Training in the Application of Artificial Intelligence to the study of Environmental Risks (AI4ER) trains researchers to be uniquely equipped to develop and apply leading-edge computational approaches to address critical global environmental challenges by exploiting vast, diverse and often currently untapped environmental data sets.
Students will engage in a one-year MRes degree in Physical Sciences (Environmental Data Science) which includes a taught component and a major research element. On successful completion of the MRes, a three-year PhD research project will be undertaken.
Students will receive training in research, professional, technical and transferable skills through a focused core programme with an emphasis on the development of data science skills.
The overall objectives of the programme are to:
1. Provide students with a broad understanding of the range of urgent environmental challenges facing global society and the practical experience of applying AI-based tools to address these challenges.
2. Build a cohort of students and equip them with skills that prepare them optimally for PhD research.
3. Develop entrepreneurial and project management skills and generate awareness of industrial, commercial and policy drivers through relevant cohort activities.
4. Equip students with a range of skills to enable them to take prominent roles in a wide spectrum of employment and research after the PhD.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Whether you’re sure of the career you want to pursue when you graduate or you’re looking to explore your options, we’ll help you to prepare for your future.
- 89% of our students who responded to the Graduate Outcomes Survey were in work or further study within 15 months of graduating¹
- Top 10 in the UK for graduate prospects (Complete University Guide 2021)
The majority of graduate employers recruit students with any degree discipline. It’s the flexibility of your degree, as well as the range of transferable skills that you develop, that are of interest to employers.
Cambridge students are typically ambitious, intelligent, motivated, hard-working, passionate, committed, curious, intellectually creative, independent thinkers, and able to manage their time effectively. Employers know this and look for the same attributes in potential new employees, which is why our graduates are so sought after.
Dedicated support and guidance
Once you’re at Cambridge, you can work with our dedicated Careers Service from day one to explore your career options. The team of experienced and impartial careers advisers can help you connect with employers and navigate the complex job market, saving you time and maximising your employability prospects. The Careers Service run a range of workshops on topics including choosing a career, cover letters, applications and getting ready for interviews. They also organise more than 200 careers events and briefing and skills sessions, and typically around 15 major careers fairs each year.
Internships and work experience
Our industry connections provide a range of opportunities for you to undertake work experience, enhancing your CV ready for graduation. Thousands of opportunities are publicised across all sectors on the Careers Service’s Handshake site, with bursaries offered to support unpaid opportunities with charities.
The Careers Service’s alumni database, GradLink, will give you access to contact details for over 1,200 Cambridge alumni working in a huge range of industries who can offer first-hand advice. The Service also runs more than 50 employment-related skills training sessions and can offer information on occupations, further study courses and funding.
Graduate employment destinations
Our graduates go on to work in a wide range of industries, from social work and education, to legal activities and finance. The list below shows the top ten occupations of respondents to the Graduate Outcomes Survey (15 months after graduation).¹
- Programmer/software development professional
- Management consultants and business analysts
- Finance and investment analysts and advisers
- Marketing associate professionals
- Business and related associate professionals
- Secondary education teaching professionals
- Primary and nursery teaching professionals
- University researchers
- Higher education teaching professionals
UK announces 2-year post-study work visa for international Students
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Postgraduate study at the University of Cambridge is intense and very intellectually demanding, so the University has high academic entry requirements. You are normally expected to hold or to have achieved by the start of your course:
minimum of an upper second class (good 2:1) honours degree from a UK university or an equivalent standard from an overseas university; and
completion of, or release from, any current training or education course
University Minimum Requirement
Professional Bachelor's (at least 4 years) in professional subjects such as Agriculture, Architecture, Business Administration, Business Management, Business Studies, Computer Applications, Engineering, Fine Arts, Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery, Law, Nursing, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy and Technology or Bachelor of Arts / Science / Commerce (3-4 years) from well ranked institutions with an overall grade of 70% or CGPA 7.3+.
If the academic requirement of the course is a first:
Professional Bachelor's (at least 4 years) in professional subjects such as Agriculture, Architecture, Business Administration, Business Management, Business Studies, Computer Applications, Engineering, Fine Arts, Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery, Law, Nursing, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy and Technology or Bachelor of Arts / Science / Commerce (3-4 years) from well ranked institutions with an overall grade of 75% or CGPA 8.0+.
IELTS Academic1 – normally a minimum overall grade of 7.5, usually with 7.0 or above in each element
TOEFL Internet Based Test (IBT) – normally a minimum overall score of 110, with 25 or above in each element
EU students – a high grade in English taken as part of a leaving exam (eg the European/French Baccalaureate, Abitur etc) may be acceptable
Cambridge English: C2 Proficiency – accepted with a minimum overall score of 200, with no element lower than 185.
Cambridge English: C1 Advanced – accepted with a minimum overall score of 193, with no element lower than 185, plus an assessment by the Language Centre. Following assessment the University Language Centre may advise further action from the applicant (eg enrolment at one of the Language Centre courses, or completion of an IELTS test).
Singapore Integrated Programme (SIP) – may be considered an acceptable English language qualification
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Doctoral Degree/PhD
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 12006 GBP
Application Fee: 70 GBP
- PhD in Zoology at University of Cambridge
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine at University of Cambridge
- PhD in Veterinary Medicine at University of Cambridge
- PhD in Surgery at University of Cambridge
- PhD in Stem Cell Biology at University of Cambridge
- EPSRC CDT MRes + PhD in Sensor Technologies and Applications at University of Cambridge