Graduate Diploma in Psychotherapy Studies
Interested in a career in psychotherapy? Already have a degree? The Graduate Diploma in Psychotherapy Studies can prepare you for further study in the Master of Psychotherapy.
The Graduate Diploma in Psychotherapy Studies is designed for health professionals and volunteers, as well as individuals interested in becoming a psychotherapist and focused on a detailed understanding of human experience and behavior. It’s the first stage of AUT’s integrated psychotherapy program that leads to qualification as a beginning psychotherapist.
Graduates who go on to complete the Master of Psychotherapy can apply for provisional membership of the New Zealand Association of Psychotherapists and under an interim scope of practice with the Psychotherapists Board of Aotearoa New Zealand.
AUT NORTH CAMPUS
Our North Campus is on Auckland’s North Shore and offers facilities including student accommodation, cafes and our biggest sports centre.
- March Deadline: May
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
The AUT Employability and Careers team helps you consider your career options and develop the skills you need to stand out to employers and become a highly employable graduate.
Visit us at the Employability Lab to:
- Improve your CV, job search or interview techniques – we offer workshops and online tools
- Increase your networking skills – come to our career fairs, workshops and employer presentations
- Source work experience and voluntary work – meet up with employers at our employer events
- Find your career focus – talk to a career specialist about your career direction or study programme.
AUT Internz partners with employers overseas, as well as locally, to offer new AUT graduates opportunities to put their learning into action. Westpac, Lululemon and Allbirds are among the employers welcoming AUT interns and full time graduate employees.
The Employability Lab hosts a number of events like career fairs, expos and presentations where – as potential employees - students and graduates can meet employers. We also run regular career development workshops and recruitment events.
Workshops and employer presentations
We are connected with many employers who provide the leadership speaker series, industry panels and talks about potential employment with their organisation, including internship and graduate opportunities.
Past presenters include Samsung Electronics NZ, MYOB, Deloitte, BNZ, NZME, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Counties Manukau DHB and AR/VR Garage.
Your qualification at level 7 or higher is acceptable if your course lasted 30 weeks or more.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Minimum entry requirements
- A bachelor’s degree OR
- Relevant professional qualification or experience approved by the Dean (or representative) to be equivalent to a bachelor’s degree
- The interview may be required
The recommended background for the graduate diploma includes:
- Having engaged in at least six months of your own personal psychotherapy
- Evidence of people-helping experience (eg counseling or similar)
- Course Code: AK3580
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Post Graduate Diploma or Certificate
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 15000 NZD
Application Fee: N/A
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Sport, Exercise and Health at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Rehabilitation Psychology at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Public Health at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Public Health at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Health Science at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)