Economics PhD with Integrated Study
Our PhD programme enables you to pursue your academic interests, and learn the latest methods in research, while providing you with thorough training in modern economics.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
While many of our PhD graduates choose to remain in academia as lecturers and researchers, some pursue careers in other sectors.
Recent PhD graduates have found employment as researchers and analysts with:
- Behavioural Insights Team
- Danmarks Nationalbank
- Bank of England
- other private and public organisations
- 2 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
A UK masters degree with distinction, or its international equivalent, in economics.
If you do not hold a masters, or if your masters is in another subject, you will not normally be admitted directly to the PhD.
Our programme is designed to enable you to pursue your academic interests, and learn the latest methods in research, while providing thorough training in modern economics. As important as your topic is the ability to match your topic with our supervision team. We will not admit a student, where we cannot provide the very best supervision. Therefore, you should think carefully about whether your topic matches our research interests.
During the application process, you will be asked to provide a research summary that briefly outlines your research interests and why you feel they fit with those of the School.
The criteria we will use to decide upon admission will include:
- the quality and rigour of your training in core economics areas.
- your performance at undergraduate and postgraduate level
- our ability to offer supervision in your chosen area of research
- the quality of your research summary and the strength of the match to the research priorities of the School
- our assessment of any previous independent work (such as your masters dissertation or extended project)
In exceptional cases, we may consider prior independent research experience as a positive factor for admission.
Minimum academic requirements
For entry to the Ph.D. program, applicants must meet the following minimum academic qualifications.
A postgraduate master's degree from an accredited institution in the UK or overseas showing evidence of above-average academic achievement. This includes:
a degree classification with a mark of 65% or more overall (University of Edinburgh level, or overseas equivalent)
normally a masters dissertation at the distinction level (University of Edinburgh level, or overseas equivalent) in accounting, finance, or related disciplines
Degrees in quantitative disciplines (e.g. economics or mathematics) or business studies will be considered if you can demonstrate a strong background in accounting and finance throughout your degree.
Applications may be accepted from those still currently studying for a master's degree; however, any offer will be conditional on the successful completion of the degree at the required standard.
Applicants with significant industry experience in the accounting sector, or with relevant professional qualifications will be given due consideration on a case-by-case basis. However, these applicants must also have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related discipline.
English language tests
We accept the following English language qualifications at the grades specified:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): total 7.0 (at least 6.0 in each module)
- TOEFL-iBT (including Special Home Edition): total 100 (at least 20 in each module). We do not accept TOEFL MyBest Score to meet our English language requirements.
- CAE and CPE: total 185 (at least 169 in each module)
- Trinity ISE: ISE III with a pass in all four components
Your English language qualification must be no more than three and a half years old from the start date of the programme you are applying to study, unless you are using IELTS, TOEFL or Trinity ISE, in which case it must be no more than two years old.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Doctoral Degree/PhD
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 9207 GBP
Application Fee: N/A