Bachelor of Science (Honours) Nutrition & Exercise Science
What is the BSc (Hons) in Nutrition & Exercise Science?
The BSc (Hons) in Nutrition & Exercise Science is a full-time, four year, honours degree course of study that can be chosen within the Exercise Sciences Common Entry Route. The Nutrition and Exercise Science pathway will give graduates the knowledge and skills to work with individual athletes and teams to optimise nutritional intake. They will also have the knowledge and skills to assist the general population in following healthy eating guidelines and achieving a healthy body weight. The final two years of the programme will be built on a broad-based exercise science education in physiology, biomechanics, psychology, nutrition and dietary assessment, physical activity, strength and conditioning and exercise programming.
At the end of the programme, graduates will be able to:
- Assess the specific nutritional needs of various athletic populations
- Undertake a comprehensive dietary intake analysis
- Assist athletic populations in altering dietary intake and dietary planning to optimise performance, during training and around competition
- Assist the general population in following healthy eating guideline and achieving a health bodyweight
- Advise on the use of supplements
- Assist athletes, coaches and the general public in distinguishing fact from fiction with reference to the nutrition research literature
Laboratories and apparatus available for practical classes and research projects include human performance laboratories, a DEXA body composition analyser, resting metabolic rate gas analysis system, dietary analysis software and ActivPal physical activity motion sensors. Certain classes are delivered in the teaching and laboratory facilities of the WIT ARENA.
- Staff in the Department have experience providing nutritional support to athletes and teams. This includes staff
- Acting as Tournament Nutritionist for the Women’s Rugby World Cup in Ireland in 2017
- Providing nutritional support to an elite intercounty GAA team
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
WIT’s award-winning Careers Development Centre is the main point of contact for:
- Students and graduates, helping you explore your options, develop your employability skills and make successful job applications
- Academic Staff, supporting you to equip your students with the skills they need to enhance their employability and succeed in their future careers
- Employers interested in securing the recruitment of well educated, career orientated, informed graduates
The Careers Development Centre supports the Institute in providing opportunities for students and graduates to develop the skills and attributes required to manage their careers throughout their working lives.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- You should be at least 17 years of age in January of the year of entry.
- You must have a Secondary/High School Diploma, with good grades in English and Mathematics and at least 4 other subjects, on average + 60%.
- Some courses have special entry requirements, which you should check under the course details.
For More Information Please Connect Our PSA Counselor
- Course Code: WD006 ESN
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 7650 EUR
Application Fee: 50 EUR
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Creative Computing at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science Multimedia Applications Development at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Software Systems Development at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science Software Systems Development at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Computer Forensics and Security at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Applied Computing (Media Development) at Waterford Institute of Technology