Graduate Certificate in Arts in Chinese Translation and Interpreting
Build the foundations for employment as a professional Chinese interpreter and translator.
The Graduate Certificate in Arts in Chinese Translation and Interpreting program is designed to help you develop practical techniques and skills of translation between English and Chinese and interpreting between English and Mandarin. It seeks to help you obtain an understanding of theories and professional aspects of translation and interpreting and to apply them in practice. Emphasis will be placed on professional translation and interpreting.
The School of Languages and Cultures is a leader in the teaching of interpreting and translation. You'll have access to one of the top interpreter training facilities in Australia, equipped with a simultaneous interpreting booth constructed to United Nations standards.
During this half year full-time program, you'll complete four courses, totalling 8 units: Translation Skills and Practice (English to Chinese), Translation Skills and Practice (Chinese to English), Interpreting Skills and Practice (English and Mandarin), and Contextual Studies for Translators and Interpreters.
Field practice will introduce you to, and involve you in, active translation and interpreting tasks within specific field settings and under the supervision of the program convenor, experienced translators and interpreters, or a mentor assigned by the program convenor.
- Get intensive training in translation from English into Chinese and vice versa, as well as interpreting between English and Mandarin.
- Benefit from facilities that include United Nations-standard simultaneous interpreting booth.
- Undertake valuable field practice in translation and interpreting.
- Study translation and interpreting topics including health and medical care, business and trade, law, science and technology, tourism, politics and international relations.
Situated on 114 hectares of Brisbane River-bound land, UQ’s main campus is a vibrant mix of majestic sandstone buildings and contemporary architecture, landscaped gardens and lakes. Fanning out from the heritage-listed Great Court, you’ll find modern teaching and research facilities, including laboratories, lecture theatres, and Queensland’s largest research library. The expansive grounds are also home to a variety of sporting facilities, museums, cafes, and those famous Jacaranda trees. The St Lucia campus is only seven kilometres from Brisbane’s city centre, making it an appealing place to study, work or visit.
Application Processing Time in Days: 28
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Postgraduate study can take you anywhere. Here are some of the careers you could be on your way to:
- Chinese translator/interpreter
- Chinese language assistant
- Conference translator/interpreter
- Medical translator/interpreter
- Foreign affairs and trade officer
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- a bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in any discipline, and
- proficiency in spoken and written Chinese and English.
You must have a grade point average (GPA) of at least 4.0 on a 7-point scale in your previous qualification.
- Course Code: 061821B
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Post Graduate Diploma or Certificate
- Duration: 06 Month
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 24505 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD