A research degree from Edinburgh is your chance to connect with internationally renowned researchers and innovators and to experience one of Europe's leading universities in one of the world’s most iconic cities. We carry out world-class research and provide high quality training in research skills.
We ranked 1st in the UK for research power in Engineering in the UK-wide Research Excellence Framework exercise in 2014, as part of a joint submission with Heriot-Watt University. The exercise also classified our research as internationally excellent or world-leading. Our facilities, grant income, awards and prizes are rated as internationally excellent and more than 94% of our research papers are published in high-impact, world-leading scientific journals.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Our graduates are amongst the most highly sought-after candidates for academic, commercial or consulting positions, entering careers around the world.
The majority of our research graduates enter the engineering profession in a wide range of fields, including automotive, bioengineering, communications, medical imaging, engineering consultancy, fire safety, renewable energy, chemical processing, oil and gas, fast moving consumable goods, high-technology and the semiconductor industry.
Other graduates from our PhD programme continue to further research including postdoctoral fellowships, lecturing roles and research contracts in universities and research institutes.
- 2 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in an appropriate subject, or relevant qualifications and experience.
Minimum academic requirements
For entry to the Ph.D. program, applicants must meet the following minimum academic qualifications.
A postgraduate master's degree from an accredited institution in the UK or overseas showing evidence of above-average academic achievement. This includes:
a degree classification with a mark of 65% or more overall (University of Edinburgh level, or overseas equivalent)
normally a masters dissertation at the distinction level (University of Edinburgh level, or overseas equivalent) in accounting, finance, or related disciplines
Degrees in quantitative disciplines (e.g. economics or mathematics) or business studies will be considered if you can demonstrate a strong background in accounting and finance throughout your degree.
Applications may be accepted from those still currently studying for a master's degree; however, any offer will be conditional on the successful completion of the degree at the required standard.
Applicants with significant industry experience in the accounting sector, or with relevant professional qualifications will be given due consideration on a case-by-case basis. However, these applicants must also have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related discipline.
English language tests
We accept the following English language qualifications at the grades specified:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): total 7.0 (at least 6.0 in each module)
- TOEFL-iBT (including Special Home Edition): total 100 (at least 20 in each module). We do not accept TOEFL MyBest Score to meet our English language requirements.
- CAE and CPE: total 185 (at least 169 in each module)
- Trinity ISE: ISE III with a pass in all four components
Your English language qualification must be no more than three and a half years old from the start date of the programme you are applying to study, unless you are using IELTS, TOEFL or Trinity ISE, in which case it must be no more than two years old.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Doctoral Degree/PhD
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 9207 GBP
Application Fee: N/A
- Wind and Marine Energy Systems and Structures EngD at The University of Edinburgh
- Landscape Architecture PhD at The University of Edinburgh
- Informatics: IPAB: Robotics, Computer Vision, Computer Graphics and Animation PhD at The University of Edinburgh
- Informatics: ICSA: Computer Architecture, Compilation and System Software, Networks and Communication PhD at The University of Edinburgh
- Informatics: ANC: Machine Learning, Computational Neuroscience, Computational Biology PhD at The University of Edinburgh
- Informatics: AIAI: Foundations and Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Automated Reasoning, Agents, Data Intensive Research PhD at The University of Edinburgh