Applied Linguistics, PhD
The PhD in applied linguistics at UMass Boston provides students with a comprehensive study and understanding of the theoretical, empirical, and practical dimensions of the field. The curriculum is designed to enable future researchers to understand the diversity of issues associated with the study of language in society from a variety of critical perspectives and frameworks.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
- 12 to 36 months( OPT duration depends on the major studied)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Applicants to the Ph.D. program in applied linguistics should submit the following admissions materials:
- Official transcript from each college and university attended
- Evidence of a master’s degree in applied linguistics or related field, with a minimum graduate GPA of 3.0
- A current Curriculum Vitae
- Three letters of recommendation, at least two of which should come from individuals who can assess the applicant’s academic preparation for advanced graduate work
- One well-written sample of academic work (e.g. MA thesis, course paper, research project, published article, etc.)
- Statement of purpose [1500 words maximum] that addresses the following questions:
- What are your career objectives? What research issues are you interested in pursuing at UMass Boston?
- How will a Ph.D. in applied linguistics advance those objectives?
- In what ways does the UMass Boston applied linguistics program address your particular academic, career, and personal goals?
- What professional, personal, and academic experiences have specially equipped you for the challenges of pursuing a doctorate?
- What personal strengths will you bring to your studies?
- What personal limitations or hurdles do you anticipate having to address in order to complete the Ph.D. program?
- Language requirement: Proficiency in one non-native language is required.
- For international students without an undergraduate degree from a U.S. institution, a minimum TOEFL score of 600 (paper), 250 (computer-based), or 100 (Internet-based), with a minimum score of 23 on the speaking section or an IELTS score of 7.0.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Doctoral Degree/PhD
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 12000 USD
Application Fee: 100 USD