Bachelor of Health Sciences (Honours)
Build on your knowledge of health care, policy, and systems with a Bachelor of Health Sciences (Honours). Through a combination of coursework and original research, you’ll learn the analytical skills and research techniques that will take you into further study, or employment in the booming health sector.
Do you have questions about the health of our population you want to answer? Why not follow your passions and discover the answers with your own research?
Contribute to existing studies in the contemporary health sector by completing an honors degree. You will have the opportunity to work with a world-class supervisor who will guide you through all the stages of research from data collection to implementation and execution, helping you produce a piece of independent, original research.
Focus on an area within the health sciences that you are passionate about. Research themes can include:
- community health
- gender, family, reproductive and sexual health
- health, diversity and social inclusion
- health economics
- health literacy
- nature and health
- obesity prevention, healthy food environments, and food policy
- physical activity, motor skill competence and self-perception
- refugee health
- violence and abuse, prevention, and intervention.
You will learn more than just your topic of research. You will develop the necessary skills to successfully conduct research, with units designed to build your knowledge of the process.
The Melbourne Burwood Campus is Deakin’s largest. A short trip from Melbourne’s central business district, Burwood offers the perfect balance between city lifestyle and suburban comfort. On campus you will find impressive buildings and world-class facilities, a wide range of learning and social spaces, and a relaxed atmosphere. If you enjoy getting outdoors between classes, the Melbourne Burwood Campus also sits alongside parkland, which is great for walking, jogging and cycling.
Application Processing Time in Days: 5
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Completing an honors year in health sciences prepares you for careers requiring an advanced skill set. Career opportunities include:
- community health development officer
- community recreation officer
- disability services advocacy and development
- family and community support
- food safety and development
- health services management
- health reform, policy, and health promotion roles
- program developer in physical health and nutrition
- officer for refugee advocacy.
Your studies will also equip you with the research skills to take you into further postgraduate and research degrees.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Entry will be based on performance in:
- a Bachelor degree or major in a related discipline with a WAM (Weighted Average Mark) of at least 65% in all level 3 and level 4 units (for Deakin awards) or final year units (for awards from other providers)
- other evidence of academic capability judged to be equivalent
When you apply to Deakin, it’s important to attach all requested supporting documentation, otherwise, your application could be delayed or disallowed.
Remember, most documents need to be certified before you upload them, so give yourself plenty of time to get organized.
Examples of certified copies you’ll need to include:
- award certificates
- academic transcripts
- formal identity papers (e.g. your passport).
Documents in languages other than English will need to be translated. If you’re applying for a scholarship, please also check the specific supporting documents for that application.
- Course Code: 060188G
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Marine Science at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Public Health and Health Promotion (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Health Sciences/Bachelor of Arts at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Forensic Science/Bachelor of Criminology at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Health and Medical Science (Honours) at Deakin University