Social Research MSc
Social research methods are a means of providing evidence to examine ideas about society and are important to social scientists who want to study a particular problem or to test a theory. They are also fundamental tools of value to the government, service providers, and to businesses.
You will gain skills in a diverse range of quantitative and qualitative research methods and engage with ‘live’ research issues and external organizations. For example, some of the recent Research in Practice placements have been with:
- the police (approaches to mental health issues)
- a local charity (women in homeless settings)
- a housing charity (experiences of private renters)
- an international development NGO (education for girls in Global South)
- an organization supporting migrants in Scotland
This course teaches you how to use research tools, and consider the wider meanings of how knowledge can be constructed in different ways and for a diverse range of purposes.
You will learn about research methods including ethnographic and participatory tools, and the analysis of large data sets, and how to apply these to your own work.
Our staff has wide experience of both quantitative and qualitative research methods. As well as working as social science researchers, our staff has acted as expert advisers to governments and as consultants to local, national, and international organizations.
The main campus of the university is located in Dundee's West End which contains many of the university's teaching and research facilities; the Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design, Dundee Law School and the Dundee Dental Hospital and School.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
The University of Dundee Careers Service is a team of trained and dedicated professionals who are here to help and support the career development of all our students, graduates and staff. Careers Service exists to empower individuals to develop their potential and take confident informed steps towards their future.
All Careers Service appointments and Quick Queries are currently being delivered online.
- We have several resources available for you depending on the nature of your query.
- For quick careers related question you can book a 15 min Quick Query appointment through the Careers Portal. Log in with your university username and password.
- For review of CVs or applications email us through the Ask a Question tab in the Careers Portal. For information on CVs, applications and job interviews
- You can book a longer 30 minute online appointment with an Adviser through the Careers Portal.
Explore career ideas, opportunities with your degree, further study and international options
Develop your employability skills, CV/cover letter and application form writing, networking and interview skills
Connect with employers, job and internship opportunities, volunteering options and your Careers Service
Ask a Careers Adviser
Find out how to book an appointment, drop-in to speak to a careers adviser and get advice online
Develop your skills, get recognition and communicate your achievements – get involved with our skills award programmes
Careers During Covid Times
Proactive and productive ways to help boost your employability during Covid-times
2 Years PSW is applicable after the course completing (Bachelors level or above)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Bachelor’s degree with 55% or above considered from University of Delhi, University of Mumbai, University of Calcutta, IITs and IIMs (considered equivalent to a UK 2.1 degree)
Bachelor’s degree with 60% or above required from other institutions (considered equivalent to a UK 2.1 degree)
A Bachelor’s degree with 50% or above may be considered comparable to a UK 2.2 degree.
Law applicants from other well-ranked institutions may be considered with 55% or above
The normal entry requirement is a four-year Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification in a discipline that provides a suitable basis for the course, e.g. biomedical, electrical, electronic or mechanical engineering, physics, or mathematics. Students with other academic backgrounds or exceptional work experience in the chosen field should contact the Course Director to make further inquiries and to discuss their individual cases.
English language requirements
- IELTS (overall) 6.0
- Reading 5.5
- Listening 5.5
- Speaking 5.5
- Writing 5.5
For More Information Please Connect Our PSA Counselor
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 9207 GBP
Application Fee: N/A
- The Low Carbon Just Transition LLM at University of Dundee
- Sustainability MSc at University of Dundee
- Social Work MSc at University of Dundee
- Law (General) LLM at University of Dundee
- International Oil and Gas Law and Policy LLM at University of Dundee
- International Mineral Law and Policy LLM at University of Dundee