Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) MSc
Suitable for both experienced teachers and newcomers to the field, this Master's degree is designed for students who plan to teach English as a second, foreign or additional language (ESL, EFL, EAL) in the UK or internationally, as well as students who plan to work or do research in the contexts of teacher education, teacher training, management, course design, materials development, policy design, language analysis and/or assessment.
The programme combines theory and practice to equip you with cutting edge teaching skills to teach English to speakers of other languages. It will lead you into an exploration of evidence based research at the frontiers of language learning, methodology and curriculum design. It will investigate learning centred ‘learnscapes’, enabling you not only to practise but to contribute to knowledge in these areas.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
With a strong foundation in teaching and research, our students are employed worldwide in all areas of the English language teaching profession.
Examples roles include:
- training other TESOL teachers
- management of TESOL education
- teaching English at primary, secondary or tertiary level
- teaching English in specialised fields (for example, business English)
- designing TESOL curricula, materials and policies
Representatives from international teacher recruitment agencies visit our campus every year to talk to our students and conduct on-campus recruitment interviews with shortlisted candidates for TESOL-related posts.
- 2 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a relevant discipline. Previous teaching experience is not required.
Alternatively, you may be considered on the basis of employment or relevant experience; please contact us to check.
If you are studying at a Chinese 211 institution, you must have a minimum overall average of 80% for courses and at least 80% on the dissertation. For non-211 institutions, you must have an average of 85% for courses and 80% on the dissertation.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
If you have received a Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (DELTA) from a Cambridge English Teaching Qualification centre within the last 5 years, you may apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and exemption from the following two core modules in semester 1:
- TESOL Methodology
- Second Language Teaching Curriculum
The fees for the MSc TESOL will be reduced accordingly.
Postgraduate entry requirements for students from India.
In order to qualify for entry to master’s study at the University of Edinburgh, you must have a good degree from a highly ranked university in India.
- Entry requirements will vary, depending on the intended programme of study. However, the minimum score you should have achieved is 60% or more in your Bachelor's study.
- We may also accept equivalent qualifications or work experience.
- Applicants who meet this minimum may be considered for entry and will be measured competitively against other applicants. For many of our programmes, competition is high and in the majority of cases, a very high First Class degree will be required. Certain programmes will also have specific requirements in terms of both the overall degree result and strengths in particular subjects which are seen as relevant to that degree.
Graduate entry to Medicine (MBChB)
Applicants with an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline will be considered for the 6 year programme.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 9207 GBP
Application Fee: N/A
- Translation Studies MSc at The University of Edinburgh
- Speech and Language Processing MSc at The University of Edinburgh
- Spanish, Portuguese & Latin American Studies (Hispanic Studies) MScR at The University of Edinburgh
- Russian MScR at The University of Edinburgh
- Mind, Language and Embodied Cognition MSc at The University of Edinburgh
- Linguistics MSc at The University of Edinburgh