Juris Doctor (JD)
Why a JD at NUS?
You would most likely want to read a JD if you want to practise law in Singapore, subject to the "Qualified Person" requirements imposed by the Legal Profession (Qualified Persons) Rules. NUS Law is ranked the #8 law school in the world by Times Higher Education (THE) 2022, and #1 in Asia by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) 2022. We offer a comprehensive range of specialisations in areas such as Corporate and Financial Services Law, Intellectual Property and Technology Law, and International Arbitration and Dispute Resolution, taught by over 70 full-time faculty members and over two dozen adjunct faculty members.
Each year, a number of visiting professors from some of the top universities in the world, including Harvard, Yale, Oxford, Cambridge, the LSE, Melbourne, Seoul National University and University of Hong Kong among many others, also offer elective modules taught intensively over three weeks, thus increasing the richness of your academic experience at NUS Law.
The Juris Doctor (JD) degree is a graduate law degree that may lead to qualification for the practice of law in Singapore.
At NUS, the JD programme comprises:
- a 2-year single graduate degree programme for candidates holding a basic law degree from another jurisdiction; and
- a 3-year single graduate degree programme for candidates holding a non-law degree.
The 3-year JD can be completed in 2.5 years in exceptional circumstances.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
- Litigation and trial lawyers.
- General counsels.
- Mediators, Arbitrators, Councillors.
- Litigation Support Roles.
- Legal Recruiters.
International students are allowed to work not more than 16 hours per week.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Prospective applicants should possess the following academic qualifications to be considered for admission:
» For the 3-year JD programme: A university degree in any non-law discipline with at least a Cum Laude or Second Class Upper Honours degree or its equivalent.
» For the 2-year JD programme: Law graduates from a civil law country or a non-gazetted common law university with at least a Cum Laude or Second Class Upper Honours degree or its equivalent. Those completing their first degree by early July of the year of admission (August intake) may also apply.
Applicants whose university degree is from English-medium institutions in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States will not be required to submit proof of English language proficiency. All others will be required to submit a minimum TOEFL iBT Total score of 100 or minimum IELTS (Academic) overall band score of 7.5. If your degree was conducted entirely in the English medium and you wish to seek a waiver of this requirement, please submit your request together with supporting documents, and it will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
(Note: NUS only accepts TOEFL iBT scores from a single test date, not MyBest scores. TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition test scores may be accepted.)
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 10400 SGD
Application Fee: 100 SGD
- Juris Doctor (JD) at National University of Singapore
- Double Degree Programmes in LLM-MPP at National University of Singapore
- Double Degree Programmes in LLM-MPA at National University of Singapore
- Master of Laws – International Business Law Specialisation at National University of Singapore
- Master of Laws – Maritime Law Specialisation at National University of Singapore
- Master of Laws – International & Comparative Law at National University of Singapore