Immunology and Infection Research PhD
Immunology and Infection Research has a proud tradition here at the School of Biological Sciences. As a researcher, you’ll be following in the footsteps of Nobel Prize winners – from malaria pioneer Sir Ronald Ross to the 2001 laureate Sir Paul Nurse – and other great names who have made ground-breaking discoveries over the years.
Our leadership in infectious disease research has emerged alongside the School’s strength in population biology and quantitative genetics. Our close association with biologists in these areas can be a valuable asset to your work.
Our institute has more than 20 research group leaders, including seven professors. While genetics is a core discipline, our work extends over molecular and cell biology, immunology, evolutionary biology and epidemiology.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
- 2 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a relevant subject. You should have some research experience and be able to demonstrate that you have a good understanding of the field you propose to study.
Minimum academic requirements
For entry to the Ph.D. program, applicants must meet the following minimum academic qualifications.
A postgraduate master's degree from an accredited institution in the UK or overseas showing evidence of above-average academic achievement. This includes:
a degree classification with a mark of 65% or more overall (University of Edinburgh level, or overseas equivalent)
normally a masters dissertation at the distinction level (University of Edinburgh level, or overseas equivalent) in accounting, finance, or related disciplines
Degrees in quantitative disciplines (e.g. economics or mathematics) or business studies will be considered if you can demonstrate a strong background in accounting and finance throughout your degree.
Applications may be accepted from those still currently studying for a master's degree; however, any offer will be conditional on the successful completion of the degree at the required standard.
Applicants with significant industry experience in the accounting sector, or with relevant professional qualifications will be given due consideration on a case-by-case basis. However, these applicants must also have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related discipline.
English language tests
We accept the following English language qualifications at the grades specified:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): total 7.0 (at least 6.0 in each module)
- TOEFL-iBT (including Special Home Edition): total 100 (at least 20 in each module). We do not accept TOEFL MyBest Score to meet our English language requirements.
- CAE and CPE: total 185 (at least 169 in each module)
- Trinity ISE: ISE III with a pass in all four components
Your English language qualification must be no more than three and a half years old from the start date of the programme you are applying to study, unless you are using IELTS, TOEFL or Trinity ISE, in which case it must be no more than two years old.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Doctoral Degree/PhD
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 9207 GBP
Application Fee: N/A
- Wind and Marine Energy Systems and Structures PhD with Integrated Study at The University of Edinburgh
- UKRI Centre for Doctoral Training in Natural Language Processing PhD with Integrated Study at The University of Edinburgh
- Translational Neuroscience PhD at The University of Edinburgh
- Surgery PhD at The University of Edinburgh
- Stem Cell Research PhD at The University of Edinburgh
- Statistics PhD at The University of Edinburgh