Doctor of Medicine
As the first Australian professional entry masters level program, the Melbourne MD creates a new benchmark in 21st century medical education.
Designed for students who have completed their undergraduate studies and are committed to professional training, this unique MD recognises both the personal and professional development of each individual.
The degree builds on prerequisite knowledge of anatomy, physiology and biochemistry acquired through undergraduate study. It delivers advanced clinical and academic training to ensure students are prepared for the challenges of a high quality medical internship. There are three clinical school zones involved with the MD course and individual hospitals within each zone.
Our Parkville campus is a city within a city. With cafes, 12 libraries, gyms, specialty stores, a small supermarket, and even a seasonal farmers market, you’ll never have to leave. The Parkville campus is situated within a renowned knowledge precinct, which includes eight hospitals, many leading research institutes and a wide range of knowledge-based industries.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
The University of Melbourne runs a twice-annual mentoring programme that brings students together with alumni mentors who guide them through the career decision-making process.
Faculty-specific resources assist students in finding the most relevant careers advice for them. Students are also able to take self-assessment tests to help them determine which occupation is most suited to them.
We run workshops, one-on-one sessions, and student mentoring programs to give you the advice you need, when you need it.
Get one-on-one support
The Careers and Employability Studio has gone virtual. Book in for an appointment with a career adviser.
Attend a workshop or session
We run a range of workshops, seminars and events to help support your skill development and employability.
About Careers and Employability
We provide you with the resources, support, and tools you need to achieve your career goals. Learn about our approach to employability and careers.
When you start university you may already know which career path you’d like to pursue. Or, you might be exploring your unique interests, passions, and opportunities.
No matter which category you’re in, career development starts from your first day at university. Career development doesn’t happen overnight. It takes time to develop a greater awareness of who you are and what you want to achieve.
At the University of Melbourne, career development is a journey that involves:
- Understanding and reflecting on your motivations and preferences, current skills and knowledge gaps
- Researching potential opportunities that help you develop meaningful, industry-relevant experiences
- Goal setting and deciding on what career success means to you
- Seeking and applying for roles that align with this vision.
- During this process, your ability to understand and apply your knowledge will be critical in making successful career decisions. We have dedicated career advisers who can guide you through this career development journey.
What are employability skills?
Employability skills are more than just your ability to land a job. They cover your attitude, personal qualities, and transferable skills (e.g. teamwork and communication).
These skills are valued regardless of the role or industry you’re interested in—and understanding their importance can help you succeed in your career and beyond.
Our aim is to help you develop these skills so you can progress professionally in the workforce and community.
How we can help you
We provide online and in-person services: from one-on-one guidance, to learning modules, on campus workshops, and more.
We support you to:
- Understand the possibilities open to you during and after your time at university
- Design your career by understanding where your degree can take you, and guide you on what experiences will help you gain future employment
- Identify your skills and how they apply to actual jobs in the industry you’re interested in
- Find opportunities via our online jobs board and our employability programs
- Connect with employers and professionals through our mentoring programs and industry networks
- Navigate the job application process so your cover letter, resume, and interview style sets you up for success.
- Our services are available to all current undergraduate and graduate University of Melbourne students.
International recognition from a world-class, contemporary medical school awaits those who immerse themselves in this highly sought-after course. Designed specifically for future leaders, the Doctor of Medicine will guide you through your formative years of practice to a range of strong career pathways post-graduation.
Doctor of Medicine graduates lead by being different.
As a graduate of the Doctor of Medicine program, you will have access to many clinical and research-based opportunities, both locally and internationally. Graduates from the Doctor of Medicine degree are highly sought after in a variety of clinical, research and health leadership fields.
Based at the heart of Melbourne’s medical precinct, University of Melbourne students are ideally placed to take advantage of close relationships with top tier hospitals through the ‘clinical schools’ model. With access to the resources of multiple major institutions – including the Royal Melbourne, St Vincent’s and Austin Hospital, as well as strongly community-connected hospitals in northern and western Melbourne and rural Victoria – graduates have many opportunities to access exemplary resources and internship opportunities upon graduation.
As a student of the Doctor of Medicine program, you also have the opportunity to join Australia’s rural workforce. Through rural practice, you’ll see first-hand the effects of your service as a medical professional upon the local community.
As a member of the Doctor of Medicine cohort, you may be presented with the opportunity to complete a semester overseas. Many previous students have completed terms at some of the best schools in the world.
Other overseas opportunities include a four-week international elective focused on a clinical specialty of your choosing.
Graduate Diploma packaged with Masters degree would allow 2 years PSW. Packaging of offers depends on the sole discretion of Faculty.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- You need to successfully complete an undergraduate degree, either from the University of Melbourne, another Australian institution, or a university overseas. You also need to meet English language requirements and be eligible to be offered an international graduate place.
- If you've achieved high marks in your Melbourne undergraduate studies you can even be made an early offer. Depending on your previous studies and experience you could also be eligible for credit towards your studies at the University.
TOEFL – you need a score from a minimum of 577+ including a score of at least 4.5 in the Test of Written English for a paper-based test. Or a score of at least 79 and scores of at least 21 for writing, 18 for speaking, 13 for reading, 13 for listening for an internet-based test.
IELTS – you need a score from a minimum of 6.5 or more in the Academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS), with no bands less than 6.0.
Pearson Test of English – you need an overall score from a minimum between 58-64 inclusive and achieve no PTE communicative skills score below 50.
Cambridge English, Advanced/Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) – you need a Cambridge English Score from a minimum 176 with no skill below 169.
- Course Code: 071304G
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Post Graduate Diploma or Certificate
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Graduate Diploma in Surgical Education at University of Melbourne
- Graduate Certificate in Surgical Education at University of Melbourne
- Specialist Certificate in Rehabilitation Science at University of Melbourne
- Specialist Certificate in Nursing Practice (Acute and Complex Care) at University of Melbourne
- Graduate Certificate in Nursing Practice (Acute and Complex Care) at University of Melbourne
- Specialist Certificate in Neonatal Care at University of Melbourne