Bachelor of Arts (Major: Journalism)
Spanning every area of media activity -- from print to video -- this industry-focused degree will teach you the practical skills you will need to succeed in the competitive world of journalism. In addition to hands-on training in print, radio, television, video and online journalism, you will also learn about media theory, plus your legal and ethical obligations as a media professional.
Why study this major?
The Journalism Major teaches you the practical skills you need to succeed in the competitive world of journalism. You will receive hands-on training in all genres of news reporting, including print, radio, television, video and online journalism. As well as these practical skills, you will learn the theoretical background needed to work in today’s media environment, including your legal and ethical obligations as a media professional.
You will be encouraged to think critically about the media industry and journalism in particular. This includes how the media, often known as the Fourth Estate, impacts on our political institutions, the legal system, personal freedom and other aspects of a modern, pluralist society.
Our foundation Campus is located in the historic West End of the port city of Fremantle, south of Perth. Housed within beautifully restored heritage buildings, it provides a ‘town university’ of great character. The iconic Campus is close to the Fremantle Harbour, cafe?s, shops and the famous ‘Cappuccino Strip’, and all major transport hubs.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Communications specialists are needed in many organisations and as a result communications and media graduates generally, and Journalism graduates in particular, are in demand. Strong future employment growth is expected. The skills developed in this Major can be used in a range of roles across a range of industries.
Careers include: journalist, digital marketer, communication consultant, PR advisor, sports reporter, social media marketing specialist, media and communications advisor, events coordinator, campaign officer, research officer, photographer, editor, travel writer, and videographer.
Sydney / Melbourne / Brisbane:
Regular 2 years post study work visa for international students completing Bachelors and Masters degrees (minimum 92 weeks), 3 years for Masters by Research and 4 years for PhD. graduates
Other Locations (Regional centres and other regional areas):
International students studying at regional universities will be eligible to access an additional
2 years in Australia on a post-study work visa
(Which means a Bachelors or Masters graduate can get up to 4 years of PSW visa)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Academic requirements for this program are outlined below. We also consider your application more broadly – your non-academic achievements (such as any previous leadership roles, volunteering, work, church and/or community involvement) as well as personal qualities - your aspirations and interests and your capacity to complete your chosen program.
Applicants with recent Secondary Education:
- Indicative ATAR of 70 with a score of 50+ in ATAR English, ATAR Literature or ATAR English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EALD).
- Minimum International Baccalaureate (IB) score of 24.
- Completed AQF Certificate IV or higher in a relevant discipline, from an accredited provider such as TAFE or a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) with a score of 50+ in ATAR English, ATAR Literature or ATAR English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EALD).
Applicants with Higher Education Study
- Other university studies completed at undergraduate level or higher, a minimum of 4 successfully completed subjects;
- Successful completion of the Notre Dame Tertiary Pathway Program or of another Enabling Program at a level deemed sufficient by the University;
Applicants who have successfully completed subjects at another University, which are relevant to the selected program of study, may be eligible for Advanced Standing.
Applicants with Vocational Education and Training (VET) study
- Completed AQF Certificate IV or higher in a relevant discipline, from an accredited provider such as TAFE or a Registered Training Organisation (RTO).
Applicants with Work and Life Experience
Applicants who left secondary education more than two years previously and who have not undertaken VET or higher education study since then, but with relevant work and life experience. Such experience may include, but is not limited to:
- STAT scores of at least 135 in the Multiple Choice section and 140 in the Written English section are required.
- Mature-age completion of two Year 12 WACE or HSC exams with a resulting ATAR of 70 or above
- Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) or equivalent results if these have been completed within the last 5 years.
Please note: all applicants must be of school leaving age or older to apply.
- Course Code: 015324A
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Commerce / Bachelor of Arts at The University of Notre Dame Australia
- Bachelor of Communications & Media (Major: Journalism) at The University of Notre Dame Australia
- Bachelor of Communications & Media (Major: Film & Screen Production) at The University of Notre Dame Australia
- Bachelor of Communications & Media at The University of Notre Dame Australia
- Bachelor of Arts (Major: Writing) at The University of Notre Dame Australia
- Bachelor of Arts (Major: Theology) at The University of Notre Dame Australia