Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood and Primary)
Entry to this course is governed by the Admission to Coursework Programs Policy. The selection of course entrants is based on academic merit and satisfaction of non-academic capabilities for entry to initial teacher education. In accordance with the mission of ACU, the Faculty of Education and Arts is committed to providing access to education for a diversity of students. For applicants who are not Year 12 students, the assessment may include year 12 or other studies undertaken to allocate an equivalent ranking. Additionally, ACU provides a range of access and equity schemes which consider additional or alternative factors in assessing applicants, including applicants of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent. ACU also offers approved, alternative entry pathway programs for domestic and international students.
The Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood and Primary) prepare graduates to teach in both early childhood and primary school settings. The course will be of interest to individuals interested in pursuing a teaching career in which they can adapt their expertise to suit the learning needs of a broad age group (birth to 12 years).
Course content focuses on three broad areas:
- Curriculum and pedagogy for birth to 12 years
- Creating inclusive learning environments that nurture diversity
- Transition to, and development of, a career in education
Students will study a range of curriculum with a particular focus on the key curriculum areas of literacy, mathematics and science. For students planning to seek employment in the Catholic system, a specialist sequence in religious education is available. Our graduates will develop expertise to work with young children, their families and communities. They will develop skills to support the creation of learning environments that nurture and support children as they learn.
Many of our students study education at ACU because they are interested in making a positive difference in the lives of children. We encourage our students to work collaboratively for justice in order to make and to share a more just and equitable society. Our Professional and Community Engagement program, embedded into our courses, provides a number of opportunities for students to complete practicum in settings that are consistent with these values.
To ensure we graduate profession ready teachers we have built into the course a number of units focusing on the individual development of a teacher. Units include:
- Curriculum Decision-making in the Early Years: Connections and Continuities.
- Early Childhood Leadership, Management and Advocacy.
- Transition into the Profession
Inherent requirements ensure the academic integrity of a course is maintained and preserves the university's learning, assessment, and accreditation processes. They must be met by all students.
There are essential components of a course or unit that demonstrate the capabilities, knowledge, and skills to achieve the core learning outcomes of the course or unit.
- compliance with the policies, procedures and regulations which are applicable to all students at ACU.
- the mandatory requirements associated with the course of study, eg attendance, completion of assignments.
1200 Mair Street, Ballarat Vic 3350 PO Box 650, Ballarat Vic 3350
115 Victoria Parade, Fitzroy Vic 3065 Locked Bag 4115, Fitzroy MDC Fitzroy Vic 3065
40 Edward Street, North Sydney NSW 2060 PO Box 968, North Sydney NSW 2059
25A Barker Road, Strathfield NSW 2135 Locked Bag 2002, Strathfield NSW 2135
Brisbane Campus (McAuley) 1100 Nudgee Road Banyo, Qld 4014
Canberra Campus (Signadou) 223 Antill Street Watson, ACT 2602
25A Barker Rd, Strathfield NSW 2135, Australia
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Graduates are eligible for registration as a primary school teacher in government, independent and Catholic schools, and as an early childhood teacher in the prior to school sector.
- 2 years PSW for Melbourne, North Sydney, and Brisbane
- 3 years PSW for Ballarat, Canberra, Adelaide, Blacktown & Strathfield
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
CBSE All India Senior School Certificate (AISSC) with a minimum average of 65% in best 4 academic subjects;
Indian School Certificate (ISC) with a minimum average of 65% in best 4 academic subjects; Senior Secondary School Certificate from National Open Schooling with a minimum average of 65% in best 4 academic subjects;
Higher Secondary Certificate from the State Boards listed below with a minimum average of 65% in best 4 academic subjects;
• Andhra Pradesh
• Gujarat, Karnataka
• Tamil Nadu
• West Bengal
Local languages and non-academic subjects are excluded.
English Language Requirements
- IELTS minimum of 7.0 in Reading and Writing and a minimum of 7.5 in listening and speaking.
Pre-requisites may also apply for entry into some major and minor sequences.
- Course Code: 063890F
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary) / Bachelor of Exercise Science at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary) / Bachelor of Arts (Visual Arts) at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary) / Bachelor of Arts (Technology) at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary) / Bachelor of Arts (Mathematics) at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary) / Bachelor of Arts (Humanities) at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Bachelor of Educational Studies at Australian Catholic University (ACU)