MA/MSc Professional Practice (Creative Media Industries)
The MA/MSc Professional Practice (Creative Media Industries) provides a coherent but flexible course of graduate study, for experienced professionals who want to formalise their learning into a qualification. This unique programme is designed to help practitioners consolidate their creative identity by designing and realising an original and personal research project.
With an emphasis on work-based learning, you will be encouraged to test your ideas within your own creative practice and you’ll be paired with an expert mentor from our global network. Mentors are there to coach and support you through your studies however, the progressive move from staff-directed to autonomous learning is an integral aim of this course.
The SAE MA/MSc Professional Practice (Creative Media Industries) is a distinctive masters programme developed for creative media practitioners. In addition to recognising the value of of your professional practice, this innovative and flexible programme:
Enables you to combine work and study by completing assessment through work-based projects
Allows you to tailor your learning and course content to match your interests and career aspirations
Provides cutting edge scholarship enriched by the support and guidance of an expert mentor
Gives you the option to complete the MA/MSc Professional Practice (Creative Media Industries) entirely through online distance learning
Encourages autonomous learning through a self-directed research project
Allows you to become part of an active global network of industry professionals
Since 1976, SAE has been one of the world’s leading educators in creative media. Thanks to our distinct model of hands-on learning and strong focus on industry and global engagement, many of our students have gone on to enrich the world with their creative talents winning Oscars, Grammys, BAFTAs and becoming digital entrepreneurs.
You will be proficient in the language of instruction:
- MPP Online - English
- MPP Milan - Italian
- MPP Cologne - German
- You will also have either:
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This course is for established creative practitioners seeking professional development and attracts students from a wide range of backgrounds and nationalities. The flexible mode of study combined with the ability to formulate your own personal research project makes this course suited to:
1. Professionals with 5+ years of industry experience
Professionals and practitioners from the digital media and creative industry sector can develop their knowledge and skills on the MA/Msc Professional Practice (Creative Media Industries) as a way of enhancing their future career prospects.
The programme also has broad relevance to professionals pursuing a new or developing interest in the sector who want to open up new career opportunities. Graduates with less industry experience are also welcome to apply, however you must show competence and commitment to your specialty.
2. Aspiring managers, innovators and visionaries
Those hoping to pursue a director or managerial role in the constantly evolving sector will gain entrepreneurial, strategic and conceptual skills to prosper. Students manage their own independent research project, be it business-based, practice-based or a combination.
The programme’s cutting-edge scholarship and research opportunities will appeal to those with strong visions of the creative industries in the modern era.
3. Busy creative practitioners with the need for flexible study options
The online distance modes of study are particularly suitable for students wanting to balance their postgraduate studies with a busy work or personal life, or irregular work patterns.
1. Programme Planning - in this first module you will be introduced to your mentor who will help you link current work practices and future aspirations to formulate your major project. You will work closely with your mentor to prepare and agree the terms of a learning agreement. The purpose of your learning agreement is to devise what you will learn, how you will learn and what evidence you will deliver for assessment.
2. Theoretical Perspectives and Research Methods - develop an academic perspective and framework to synthesise your project and your programme of study.
3. Review of Learning - critically reflect on your experiential learning, and to claim academic credit for relevant work experience within your creative discipline. To claim credit for experiential learning you submit a portfolio of evidence and construct arguments to support your claim.
4. Professional Development Scheme - targeted programmes of advanced study specifically designed to address essential elements within your major project.
5. Creative Media Major Project - a significant body of work supported by advanced methodologies. You must also submit a self-reflective written report and a live or recorded presentation. See examples of past projects.
Tailoring your study to be specifically relevant to your future practice has many advantages. Not only does it prove to your employer your willingness to perform to the best of your ability, but that you also display a higher intellectual rigour.
Outcomes of the course may include a new career direction, promotion to a leadership role, a salary increase or a combination of these.
If your project is based on a particularly complex area of technical content, then you may present your degree to be awarded a MSc, instead of the default MA, to the Assessment Board. The masters degree is titled Creative Media Industries. However, you may present a case for an alternate title if you wish to be more specific to your genre, for example an MA in Documentary Film. This will be agreed in your learning agreement during at the beginning of the course and will be considered and approved by the Assessment Board. See examples of award titles.
Application Processing Time in Days: 14
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- a Bachelor's degree with Honours (second class or higher) in a relevant field, and
- up to one years professional creative industry experience
- Course Type: Online
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year 06 Month
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 12006 GBP
Application Fee: N/A