Master of Philosophy - Engineering and IT
Make your own research contribution with the Master of Philosophy (Engineering and IT) at Australia’s leading university*. Build your expertise in a specialist area and be supported by experienced supervisors and advisory committees to create significant change in society.
Research projects are offered in Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computing and Information Systems, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Infrastructure Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering and Mechatronics. You can also pursue an engineering or IT research project of your own.
* Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023
Solutions for global problems
Work alongside researchers who are creating technological solutions to significant problems in our society and in our future. You’ll benefit from an environment of cross-disciplinary research excellence at Melbourne, connecting diverse study areas and blending academic and industry.
Our researchers are looking into water resource management, clean energy, disaster management, climate change, cancer treatment, epilepsy suppression, food processing, automated interpretation of data, personalised medicine, smart grids and more.
Our Parkville campus is a city within a city. With cafes, 12 libraries, gyms, specialty stores, a small supermarket, and even a seasonal farmers market, you’ll never have to leave. The Parkville campus is situated within a renowned knowledge precinct, which includes eight hospitals, many leading research institutes and a wide range of knowledge-based industries.
Application Processing Time in Days: 90
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
With a graduate research degree in engineering and IT from Melbourne, you could:
- take the first steps toward commercialising your research
- launch your career in academia
- develop specialised expertise and be in-demand in industry or government sectors.
A graduate research degree from Melbourne will prepare you for careers in both academia and industry. In these roles, you’ll apply specialist knowledge and deploy transferrable skills gained through your graduate research studies.
- 2 years PSW
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
To be considered for entry to a Master of Philosophy you must demonstrate that you meet the following criteria:
You are normally required to have completed at least a four-year honours undergraduate degree.
Not all international undergraduate degrees are considered equivalent to an Australian four-year honours undergraduate degree. Our Research Higher Degree Committee uses Australian Government Country Education Profiles to determine equivalency.
As a general guideline, if your qualification leads directly to admission to research in your home country then your qualification will most likely be eligible for graduate research at the University of Melbourne.
Minimum level of academic achievement
- You are normally required to have achieved an overall H1 (80–100%) grade in your undergraduate degree or your masters degree, or be in the top 5% of your graduating cohort.
- Course Code: 061951C
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Master of Chemical Engineering at University of Melbourne
- Master of Civil Engineering at University of Melbourne
- Master of Digital Infrastructure Engineering at University of Melbourne
- Master of Electrical Engineering at University of Melbourne
- Master of Environmental Systems Engineering at University of Melbourne
- Master of Mechanical Engineering at University of Melbourne