Bachelor of Social Work
Why choose this course?
You will develop the knowledge, skills, and values to work towards social justice and social change in complex environments. You will graduate job-ready, with a total of 1,000 hours of professional placement that allows you to explore career paths that include direct support services, advocacy services, and policy development. Our students also have the unique opportunity to work alongside health professionals at QUT Health Clinics to deliver important services to the local community who are accessing the low-vision optometry clinic. Placements may also be completed in rural and remote communities, or overseas.
During this course, you will have the flexibility to choose five elective units in key areas of practice. Options include domestic violence, Indigenous health, child protection, and family practice, and international social work practice. You may also be able to complete electives in complementary areas such as public health or psychology and counseling.
You will be taught by experienced social workers and human services professionals who have a proud history of providing services to vulnerable communities from a foundation of respect, social justice, and human rights. They have distinguished careers in clinical work, political activism, and advocacy, education, and research.
Kelvin Grove campus hosts the faculties of Creative Industries, Education, and Health as well as the QUT International College and the Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation.
Application Processing Time in Days: 40
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Careers and outcomes
Social workers are employed in hospitals and community health care, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ health and social services, disability, child protection, youth work, criminal justice, family support and counseling, employment and legal services, refugee wellbeing, government, and policy and research.
- Aged Services Worker
- Child Protection Officer
- Corrective Services Officer
- Health Policy Officer
- Health Services Manager
- Human Services Practitioner
- Social Scientist
- Social Worker
- Youth Worker
- Students who graduate with a Bachelors's degree are eligible for a 2-year work visa.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Senior/Higher Secondary School Certificate/Pre-University certificate from QUT recognized state education boards with an overall average of 75% in best five academic subjects (2 languages and 3 academic subjects), excluding physical education.
- Indian School Certificate academic stream awarded by CISCE with an overall average of 60% in the best five academic subjects (two languages and three academic subjects), excluding physical education.
- All India Senior School Certificate academic stream awarded by CBSE with an overall average of 60% in the best five academic subjects (two languages and three academic subjects), excluding physical education.
There are requirements that you will need to meet as a student in this course. You will need to identify these requirements and ensure you allow sufficient time to meet them. Some of these requirements have associated costs.
Blue card: You must undergo a criminal history check for working with children and be issued with a suitability card (blue card) before commencing clinical placement/practicum in an organization where they may work with children or young people.
The processing of your application may take several months so you must submit your blue card application to HiQ as early as possible to ensure you have your card before you begin any unit that requires contact with children. There is no charge for student blue cards. Students who already have a blue card must register it with QUT.
At the end of the second year of study in this course, you will have the option to apply for the Bachelor of Social Work (Honours). This allows you to complete an honors research project that extends your knowledge of the professional field, offering a competitive advantage in your career.
Entry to the program is competitive and based on grade point average. On entry to the course, you will retain all of the credit you have successfully completed in the Bachelor of Social Work and will complete a further two years of full-time study.
- Course Code: 063034B
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 24505 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Bachelor of Human Services/Bachelor of Public Health at Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Public Health at Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Human Services at Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Human Services/Bachelor of Business at Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Justice at Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Justice (Honours) at Queensland University of Technology