Bachelor of Communication (Public Relations)
Build the reputation of brands, people, and organizations with skills and techniques developed through Deakin's Bachelor of Communication (Public Relations). Learn how innovative and ethical communication fosters meaningful relationships with stakeholders as you develop the capabilities to create inspiring campaigns and events, manage issues, and become an adaptive communications expert.
Do you want to create, inspire and problem solve? Steer your way to a dynamic career in communication
Develop a thorough understanding of public relations in the 21st century so you can design and implement effective and memorable campaigns.
Through this course, you'll learn about the social, administrative, cultural, and ethical implications of public relations activity. You'll also gain insights into how PR has kept pace with advancements in technology and the changing political, economic, and social landscape.
From day one, you'll have the opportunity to develop your skills in writing, editing, researching, event organization, and publishing with the aim to prepare you for the challenges of the current media landscape. Learn from academics who are active in their field, with years of invaluable experience, ensuring you gain the professional skills to conduct strategic and tactical communication research, planning, and evaluation.
Work Integrated Learning experiences are embedded within the course’s core units.
The Melbourne Burwood Campus is Deakin’s largest. A short trip from Melbourne’s central business district, Burwood offers the perfect balance between city lifestyle and suburban comfort. On campus you will find impressive buildings and world-class facilities, a wide range of learning and social spaces, and a relaxed atmosphere. If you enjoy getting outdoors between classes, the Melbourne Burwood Campus also sits alongside parkland, which is great for walking, jogging and cycling.
Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
At Deakin’s Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus, you are surrounded by expansive grounds and impressive new buildings. It offers state-of-the-art engineering, medical and sport facilities, as well as some of the most advanced research spaces in the world. The campus also features incredible sporting facilities, including Deakin’s Elite Sport Precinct, which includes an Australian rules football oval, FIFA-grade soccer pitch, athletics track, basketball courts, and more.
Application Processing Time in Days: 5
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
With Deakin's accredited public relations degree, you can work across a range of sectors, including business, government, or not-for-profit organizations. Deakin graduates find work as:
- account executives
- advertising copywriters
- advertising account managers
- customer relations officers
- community relations officers
- customer relations managers
- government relations officers
- communication and stakeholder relations
- marketing and communications coordinator
- media and communications advisors
- media relations advisors
- public relations officers
- social media account managers
- digital content coordinators
- digital communications specialists
- event management officers.
- Melbourne Campus - 2 years of Post Study Work Permit
- Geelong/ Warrnambool Campus - 3 years of Post Study Work Permit
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- (standard class XII):- 65%
Admission Requirements Specific Entry for applicants with recent secondary education (previous three years) will be based on their performance in a Senior Secondary Certificate of Education, with pre-requisite units 3 and 4; a study score of at least 25 in English EAL (English as an additional language) or 20 in English other than EAL. Applicants will be selected in accordance with the published Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) for that year.
Entry for applicants with previous Tertiary, VET, life, or work experience will be based on their performance in:
- a Certificate IV in a related discipline OR
- a Diploma in any discipline or 50% completion of a Diploma in a related discipline OR
- successful completion of relevant study at an accredited higher education institution equivalent to at least two Deakin University units OR
- other evidence of academic capability judged to be equivalent for example relevant work or life experience
When you apply to Deakin, it’s important to attach all requested supporting documentation, otherwise, your application could be delayed or disallowed.
Remember, most documents need to be certified before you upload them, so give yourself plenty of time to get organized.
Examples of certified copies you’ll need to include:
- award certificates
- academic transcripts
- formal identity papers (e.g. your passport).
Documents in languages other than English will need to be translated. If you’re applying for a scholarship, please also check the specific supporting documents for that application
Mandatory student checks
Any unit which contains work-integrated learning, a community placement, or interaction with the community may require a police check, Working with Children Check, or another check.
- Course Code: 083990C
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of International Studies/Bachelor of Commerce at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Arts at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Science at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Property and Real Estate/Bachelor of Commerce at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Business Analytics at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws at Deakin University