Interior, Architectural and Spatial Design MA (eca)
The main aim of this programme is to support you in establishing your own definitions and approaches to the diverse and controversial subjects of interior, space and design. Addressing and questioning current spatial, interior and architectural theory, alongside the development of creative design projects, you will develop the skills needed for you to practice that definition.
We will encourage and support you in investigating your own innovative design solutions.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
We have a strong track record of graduates working in interior design and architectural practices both here in the UK and overseas, or setting up their own businesses.
Graduates have also gone on to undertake further academic study at masters or PhD level around the world.
- 2 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
A UK 2:1 honours degree or its international equivalent, in a relevant subject such as interior design, interior architecture, architecture, landscape architecture, product design or 3D design.
You must submit a portfolio as part of your application. Your portfolio should include:
- completed interior, architectural, spatial or landscape projects are undertaken individually or as part of a group (please note that you should state your involvement in the group projects)
- evidence of hand drawing, sketching, model making, orthographic drawing and rendered visuals
- engagement with materials and detailing
- work demonstrating a range of research methods and lines of enquiry
- development work, demonstrating the iterative design process, as well as finished projects.
As part of your portfolio, you are encouraged to include a personal video, no more than 2 minutes long, talking about your best piece of work.
As part of the application process, you must submit a personal statement and CV. Your personal statement should include why you want to study at ECA and what you feel you would contribute to the programme. You may also be invited to interview via phone or Skype.
Selection will be made on key criteria:
- research: what has generated your design ideas and what methods did you use to support this?
- conceptual ambition: what are the big ideas driving your work? How are you questioning current design thinking?
- development: how have you developed those ideas in your project work through the iterative design process?
- resolution: how have projects been resolved and communicated?
- awareness: what do you consider interior, architectural and spatial design to be, and where does your work sit within the discipline?
- evidence of exploring interior, architectural and spatial design through a number of media including hand sketching, model making, 3D visualisations
If you do not meet the academic entry requirements, we may still consider your application on the basis of your portfolio and/or relevant professional experience.
Postgraduate entry requirements for students from India.
In order to qualify for entry to master’s study at the University of Edinburgh, you must have a good degree from a highly ranked university in India.
- Entry requirements will vary, depending on the intended programme of study. However, the minimum score you should have achieved is 60% or more in your Bachelor's study.
- We may also accept equivalent qualifications or work experience.
- Applicants who meet this minimum may be considered for entry and will be measured competitively against other applicants. For many of our programmes, competition is high and in the majority of cases, a very high First Class degree will be required. Certain programmes will also have specific requirements in terms of both the overall degree result and strengths in particular subjects which are seen as relevant to that degree.
Graduate entry to Medicine (MBChB)
Applicants with an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline will be considered for the 6 year programme.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 9207 GBP
Application Fee: N/A
- World Christianity MSc at The University of Edinburgh
- World Christianity MTh at The University of Edinburgh
- World Christianity MPhil at The University of Edinburgh
- Urban Strategies and Design MSc at The University of Edinburgh
- Theology in History MSc at The University of Edinburgh
- Theology in History MTh at The University of Edinburgh