Master of Applied Policy
The Master of Applied Policy, offered by the UTS Institute for Public Policy and Governance (UTS: IPPG), is designed for middle-level and senior professionals and practitioners in the public, private and non-profit sectors seeking to enhance their knowledge, skills base and career opportunities. It provides a transdisciplinary basis for understanding policy across these sectors. The course examines the development and implementation of policy in practice; policy research skills and methodologies; the making and evaluation of policy; and program implementation and management.
The course is informed by the applied policy and social research experience of the UTS: IPPG with government, industry and community in the Australian context and internationally. The course is designed to have an applied focus which is theoretically underpinned. The course offers students the opportunity to work across industry sectors on real-world problems and to critically apply their learning to case studies drawn from UTS: IPPG's research program and their own workplaces to innovate solutions. It includes active approaches to learning, including debates, case studies, role plays, group discussions, presentations and guest speakers.
All students undertake an individual research project, and gain the necessary knowledge and experience to engage in effective policy development, implementation and evaluation. The course offers a general policy stream focusing on professional practice, as well as major streams in local government studies; urban and regional policy; and social research. The core subjects of the course examine contemporary policy challenges; policy in practice; policy and resources and evidence and decision making. To tailor their course, students can choose their electives from a range of subjects from UTS: IPPG, the Faculty of Design, Architecture and Building, and the UTS Business School. The course also offers a sub-major in Project Management. The course utilises several teaching formats, including intensive block mode and online delivery, designed by academics, practitioners and industry leaders. Most subjects are offered in flexible mode and delivered in blocks or online for more effective integration of study and work commitments.
As a City campus, UTS not only offers a range of great services and facilities across our buildings, but across our vibrant, local precinct. For a snapshot of everything our campus and precinct has to offer - including where all the cafes are at UTS
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Career options include public, not-for-profit or private sector agencies involved in policy, programs and service delivery.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised bachelor's degree, or an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate studies.
Applicants must have one of the following:
- a UTS recognised bachelor's degree, or equivalent or higher qualification, with at least credit average in a relevant field (policy studies, public administration, or social sciences in any relevant discipline)
- a UTS Graduate Certificate in Applied Policy at credit level or above
- a UTS Graduate Diploma in Applied Policy at credit level or above.
in addition to one of the above qualifications, applicants need to provide:
- a CV demonstrating relevant work experience
- a personal statement (max. 300 words) addressing their reasons for wanting to undertake the Master of Applied Policy.
Applicants who do not satisfy the academic requirements may be considered on the ability to demonstrate equivalency through a minimum of three years' relevant work experience.
Applicants need to provide:
- a CV clearly articulating the relevant experience
- a personal statement (max. 300 words) explaining the reasons for wanting to study the Master of Applied Policy. If applicable, detail should be provided about general or professional qualifications that demonstrate potential to pursue graduate studies.
Minimum English Language Requirements
- Academic IELTS: 6.5 overall with a writing score of 6.0;
- TOEFL: paper based: 550-583 overall with TWE of 4.5, internet based: 79-93 overall with a writing score of 21;
- AE5: Pass;
- PTE: 58-64;
- CAE: 176-184
- Course Code: 094553M
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year 06 Month
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Master of Genetic Counselling (Research) at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Learning Analytics (Research) at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Executive Master of Strategic Communication at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Laws (Research) at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Legal Studies at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Laws at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)