PhD in Psychology (Doctor of Philosophy)
Advance your psychology career and contribute important ideas to an ever-evolving discipline, with a PhD in Psychology from VU.
PhD in Psychology program at VU
Our PhD program offers advanced research opportunities to those who’ve completed a relevant honours or masters degree in psychology.
During your study, you’ll make real contributions to the psychology field through an original thesis in one of our research-focus areas. You’ll benefit from the support of an expert community of researchers, with world-class opportunities for interdisciplinary research.
We focus on real-world, applicable studies. Our partnerships with educational, health and community organisations can enable you to embed your research in relevant settings.
You’ll learn to present your research in a variety of contexts, such as journals and public presentations.
Footscray Nicholson Campus is a few minutes' walk from the Footscray train station. This relaxed and friendly campus has an emphasis on TAFE courses, run through VU Polytechnic. It's easy to find your way around – there is a brand new learning commons with a library and study spaces. We also have childcare facilities and a recreation centre.
Footscray Park Campus is next to parklands along the Maribyrnong River, a short walk from Footscray Station. Footscray is one of Melbourne’s multicultural hubs, only 10 minutes by train from the city. The campus has restaurants and cafes, learning commons, world-class sports science facilities, a bookshop, and a pool and gym. It hosts many of our degree and postgraduate courses, including in business, sport, youth and community work, science, engineering and education.
St Albans Campus
Our St Albans Campus is a hub for health and nutrition research. It also specialises in arts and science programs. Our nursing and biomedical science students complete a large part of their studies at the new teaching and research centre at Sunshine Hospital alongside medical professionals. The campus has a modern community feel and is set in gardens of native grasses and gum trees. It’s a relaxed, friendly place to study, with a children’s centre, a gym, and award-winning architecture.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
A PhD will enhance your career opportunities in applied health settings. The Master of Applied Psychology (Clinical Psychology) qualifies you to work as a clinical psychologist, following registration with the AHPRA(external link). Adding a PhD increases your expertise and specialist skills in health-related research.
You’ll also graduate ready for a research career in government, health institutes or universities.
Job titles include:
- policy adviser
- university lecturer.
- 4 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Master’s degree with thesis;
- admissible bachelor degree Completed with a degree classification (as awarded on degree certificate) of first Division with Distinction (70%).
English Language Requirement
- Achieved an IELTS, (Academic Module) result with an overall score of 6.5 (no band less than 6) or equivalent and completed a Masters degree or a relevant four year undergraduate degree with Honours or its equivalent at a high standard.
- Course Code: 084120G
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Doctoral Degree/PhD
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Doctor of Philosophy (Integrated) at Victoria University
- PhD in Food Sciences & Technology (Integrated) at Victoria University
- PhD in Human Movement (Integrated) at Victoria University
- PhD in Medical & Biological Science (Integrated) at Victoria University
- PhD in Nursing & Midwifery (Integrated) at Victoria University
- PhD in Sport & Recreation (Integrated) at Victoria University