Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology
Counseling psychology focuses on health and wellbeing, and collaboration between psychologist and client to achieve desired mental health outcomes. Study the AUT Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology gives you the option to complete a pathway towards registration as a psychologist in New Zealand.
The Master of Health Science in Psychology is usually the prerequisite to the Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology, which is the last component of tertiary study for eligibility to register with the New Zealand Psychologists' Board.
AUT NORTH CAMPUS
Our North Campus is on Auckland’s North Shore and offers facilities including student accommodation, cafes and our biggest sports centre.
- March Deadline: May
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
The AUT Employability and Careers team helps you consider your career options and develop the skills you need to stand out to employers and become a highly employable graduate.
Visit us at the Employability Lab to:
- Improve your CV, job search or interview techniques – we offer workshops and online tools
- Increase your networking skills – come to our career fairs, workshops and employer presentations
- Source work experience and voluntary work – meet up with employers at our employer events
- Find your career focus – talk to a career specialist about your career direction or study programme.
AUT Internz partners with employers overseas, as well as locally, to offer new AUT graduates opportunities to put their learning into action. Westpac, Lululemon and Allbirds are among the employers welcoming AUT interns and full time graduate employees.
The Employability Lab hosts a number of events like career fairs, expos and presentations where – as potential employees - students and graduates can meet employers. We also run regular career development workshops and recruitment events.
Workshops and employer presentations
We are connected with many employers who provide the leadership speaker series, industry panels and talks about potential employment with their organisation, including internship and graduate opportunities.
Past presenters include Samsung Electronics NZ, MYOB, Deloitte, BNZ, NZME, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Counties Manukau DHB and AR/VR Garage.
Your qualification at level 7 or higher is acceptable if your course lasted 30 weeks or more.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Minimum entry requirements
Must have completed the following or equivalent:
- Master of Health Science with a specialization in Psychology; OR
- Relevant master’s degree in psychology and have passed the papers (Psychological Intervention, Psychological Assessment, and Diagnosis, Supervised Practicum); OR
- Relevant master’s degree in psychology and papers equivalent to those listed above
Students who successfully complete the Bachelor of Health Science (Honours) in Psychology, followed by the Master of Health Science in Psychology, may enroll in the Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology, subject to registration with the NZ Psychologists’ Board as an intern psychologist, and the securement of a suitable internship position (AUT has a number of internship providers, but agencies tend to interview for these positions).
In some cases, a further interview for selection into the Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology may be required.
May be required to meet the Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act (HPCA Act) and Children's Act 2014 requirements and other relevant legislation
- Course Code: AK1232
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Post Graduate Diploma or Certificate
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 15000 NZD
Application Fee: N/A
- Postgraduate Certificate in Sport, Exercise and Health at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Rehabilitation Psychology at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Public Health at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Public Health at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Health Science at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Laboratory Science at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)