This course is currently not offered by the university in upcoming intakes. We will notify you soon as it is resumed for online/ offline delivery
Master of Molecular Biology Research Extensive
Get a head start in molecular biology research.
If your goal is to work at the coalface of molecular biology research, this 1.5 year program will give you a head start. It'll enhance your technical and research skills in core areas of molecular biology, protein technology and bioinformatics through a two- or three-semester laboratory immersion. You can undertake the research within university laboratories, in an industry setting with co-supervision by one of our academics, or as a placement under an industry-based supervisor in a company, government department or other suitable organisation.
You'll learn the latest techniques in molecular biology, like protein engineering, artificial evolution, enzymology, high-throughput screening, bioinformatics, ancestral sequence reconstruction, fundamental methods of molecular cloning, protein purification and LC-MS analysis of small molecules.
You'll also learn how to formulate a hypothesis, design and execute experiments, and become familiar with Australian safety standards. Regular consultations with your supervisor allow you to discuss progress and receive feedback and guidance.
In your last semester, you'll hone your scientific communication skills when you present your findings in a scientific manuscript suitable for publication in a relevant scientific journal, and for peer review to your lab group members.
- Study at an international powerhouse of teaching and research in chemical and molecular life sciences.
- Learn from scientists who have contributed to breakthroughs in safer vaccines, antibiotic resistance, viral infections and early breast cancer detection.
- Enhance your technical and research skills in core areas of molecular biology, protein technology and bioinformatics.
- Put theory into practice, build relationships with potential employers and mentors, and test career options.
Situated on 114 hectares of Brisbane River-bound land, UQ’s main campus is a vibrant mix of majestic sandstone buildings and contemporary architecture, landscaped gardens and lakes. Fanning out from the heritage-listed Great Court, you’ll find modern teaching and research facilities, including laboratories, lecture theatres, and Queensland’s largest research library. The expansive grounds are also home to a variety of sporting facilities, museums, cafes, and those famous Jacaranda trees. The St Lucia campus is only seven kilometres from Brisbane’s city centre, making it an appealing place to study, work or visit.
Application Processing Time in Days: 28
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Postgraduate study can take you anywhere. Here are some of the careers you could be on your way to:
- Analytical biochemist
- Genetic pathologist
- Environmental biologist
- Biomedical science lecturer
2 years of Post-Study Work (PSW) rights to international students post completion of their respective Postgraduate.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Course Code: 085548E
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year 06 Month
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 24505 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- MASTER OF Occupational Hygiene at The University of Queensland
- MASTER OF Food Science and Technology Research Extensive at The University of Queensland
- MASTER OF Clinical Neuropsychology and Clinical Psychology at The University of Queensland
- Master of Sports Coaching at The University of Queensland
- Masters of Occupational Hygiene / Occupational Health and Safety Science at The University of Queensland
- Master of Bioinformatics at The University of Queensland