Master of Health Economics
Turn data into evidence-based decisions that influence positive change in the healthcare system by studying the Master of Health Economics. Graduate with advanced skills in resource allocation and economic modeling, and use your expertise to inform policy and health practices on a global scale.
Ready to realize your career potential by joining one of the largest and most prominent health economics programs in Australia?
The Master of Health Economics is designed for clinical and non-clinical health professionals who want to improve healthcare systems from the top down. It’s also ideal for those from finance backgrounds hoping to use their knowledge of economics to create healthier, happier communities. If you’re looking for a health economics program that’s well-established, renowned for its academic research and led by teachers at the very forefront of the field, this is the course to take your career forward.
At its core, the course teaches you how to maximize health benefits and outcomes from available resources. To do this, you’ll develop expertise across a number of specialized skills, including:
- resource allocation
- economic modeling and evaluation
- health technology assessment
- priority setting
- healthcare financing
- policy analysis.
These techniques arm you with the knowledge that allows you to make evidence-based decisions that improve the way healthcare systems operate.
The Melbourne Burwood Campus is Deakin’s largest. A short trip from Melbourne’s central business district, Burwood offers the perfect balance between city lifestyle and suburban comfort. On campus you will find impressive buildings and world-class facilities, a wide range of learning and social spaces, and a relaxed atmosphere. If you enjoy getting outdoors between classes, the Melbourne Burwood Campus also sits alongside parkland, which is great for walking, jogging and cycling.
Application Processing Time in Days: 5
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
The health sector is Australia’s largest and fastest-growing*. With more jobs and increased demand for skilled health professionals, you’ll have more opportunities to take your career forward.
Use your specialized skills and extensive practical experience to confidently explore roles in:
- pharmaceutical and health technology industries
- health insurance
- hospitals, community health organizations and healthcare management
- international health organizations such as WHO, UNDP, OECD, the World Bank Group and the Asian Development Bank
- government departments such as Health and Treasury and the Productivity Commission
- non-government agencies, research institutes, and think tanks
- corporate consulting firms.
In addition to the diverse career options this course opens up, graduates also have the opportunity to join Deakin’s leading health economics academics by progressing to a Ph.D.
- Melbourne Campus - 2 years of Post Study Work Permit
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Entry will be based on performance in:
- a Bachelor degree or other qualification at a higher AQF level in any discipline
- other evidence of academic capability judged to be equivalent
Mandatory student checks
Any unit which contains work-integrated learning, a community placement, or interaction with the community may require a National Police Record Check, a Working with Children Check, or another check. Refer to the relevant unit guide.
When you apply to Deakin, it’s important to attach all requested supporting documentation, otherwise, your application could be delayed or disallowed.
Remember, most documents need to be certified before you upload them, so give yourself plenty of time to get organized.
Examples of certified copies you’ll need to include:
- award certificates
- academic transcripts
- formal identity papers (e.g. your passport).
Documents in languages other than English will need to be translated. If you’re applying for a scholarship, please also check the specific supporting documents for that application.
- Course Code: 085214E
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Master of Applied Science (Health) at Deakin University
- Master of Applied Science (Health and Disease) at Deakin University
- Master of Philosophy at Deakin University
- Master of Science (Environmental Science) at Deakin University
- Master of Science (Biology and Chemical Sciences) - IFM at Deakin University
- Master of Data Science at Deakin University