Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Product Design
The Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Product Design prepares students for a career in the global product design industry, from boutique design practice or service design to large-scale industrial production and beyond.
The Honours program allows students to undertake self-determined, critical research and apply this to a specific project.
UTS believes a hands-on approach is fundamental for every aspiring designer. As such, the student's starting point is the individual design and making of an object. Throughout their studies students learn how to design, prototype and test design solutions, drawing on cutting-edge technologies and approaches, such as UX (user experience), wearables and electronics and gain hands-on experience in the faculty's digital and fabrication workshops.
Alongside a strong technical base, the degree applies the creative problem-solving required to design experiences that make a difference to everyday life, whether in developing economies or digital cultures. Central to this approach is an understanding of the relationships between objects, culture, economy, technology, business and human behaviour.
As a City campus, UTS not only offers a range of great services and facilities across our buildings, but across our vibrant, local precinct. For a snapshot of everything our campus and precinct has to offer - including where all the cafes are at UTS
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Career opportunities for graduates of the product design degree are expanding. Longstanding industrial design roles include working as an in-house designer in a manufacturing company or working as a design consultant. Graduates also work in emerging fields such as service and strategic design or digital interaction design, adapting advanced technologies for new experiences and networked environments. Integrated education also allows graduates to move beyond design to managing production, distribution and the marketing of new products. Finally, the degree prepares graduates for further study in specialised fields such as transport design or associated professional disciplines.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Applicants with a degree which is equivalent to the UTS Bachelor of Design in Product Design and who have attained an overall minimum WAM of 65 or above must provide the following additional material in order to be considered for a place in the Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Product Design:
- a digital portfolio of 10 x A4 landscape PDFs that display digital files, scans and/or photographs of original design work done by the applicant (max. size 5MB)
- a 200–300 word statement addressing the applicant's reasons for undertaking honours level study in design at UTS and the specific learning that they are seeking given their intended career direction on completion of the degree
- a 200–300 word project proposal outline that includes a project description, identification of research context, description of specific research focus and set of design methods, techniques, materials and approaches to be employed
- a one-page CV in PDF format that clearly articulates the applicant's design or related experience.
Students must refer to the inherent requirements for all degrees offered by Design and Architecture in the Faculty of Design, Architecture and Building.
Minimum English Language Requirements
- Academic IELTS: 6.5 overall with a writing score of 6.0;
- TOEFL: paper based: 550-583 overall with TWE of 4.5, internet based: 79-93 overall with a writing score of 21;
- AE5: Pass;
- PTE: 58-64;
- CAE: 176-184
For More Information Please Contact to Our Counselor.
- Course Code: 077332K
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 24505 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Bachelor of Communication (Media Arts and Production) Bachelor of Arts in International Studies at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Bachelor of Design in Visual Communication Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation - (C10324) at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Bachelor of Global Studies at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Animation at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Visual Communication at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Fashion and Textiles at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)