Chemistry with a Foundation Year, BSc (Hons)
The second through to the fourth years of the programme are identical to the 3 year B.Sc. course. The first year (Foundation Year) will consist of 6 compulsory modules. In the first semester, students will take modules in Maths, Chemistry 1 and Chemistry Lab 1. In the second semester, they will take modules in Physics, Chemistry 2 and Chemistry Lab 2. The Maths and Physics modules will be such that the topics are taught with Chemistry context.
The separation of topics within the Chemistry 1 and 2 modules roughly mirror the Structure and Bonding and Chemical Reactions module sequence of the first year of the main chemistry courses so that students will be familiar with this non-traditional categorisation of concepts when they progress to the second year. The experiments in the Lab modules will illustrate the concepts in the parallel Chemistry 1 and 2 modules. The Chemistry content over all four modules will not simply match that of A-level but will begin to develop students' past the A- level conceptualisation and cognition levels. The ideal is that students will leave the Foundation year as prepared as possible for the mainstream chemistry modules without these latter being repetition.
Singleton Park Campus
Travelling west on the M4 leave the motorway at junction 42 and follow signs for Swansea on the A483 (Fabian Way). On crossing the River Tawe the A483 becomes the A4067. Continue west along this road, passing Sainsbury’s Superstore on the left-hand side of the road. After approximately 1.5 miles there is a footbridge over the road. The University’s main entrance lies just before the footbridge and is controlled by traffic lights. As you approach the lights, keep to the right-hand lane and prepare to turn right into the University. There is a Visitors’ Car Park immediately right of the main entrance. There are large Park-and-Ride sites at Port Tennant and on the A483 east of Swansea, at Landore, on the A4067 north of the city. All sites are open from 7.00 am until 7.00 pm, Monday to Saturday.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Our career support services include:
- Employability workshops, employers’ talks, bespoke events and careers fairs
- Individual advice and guidance from professionally qualified Careers Advisers
- Help with finding jobs, internships, work placements and volunteering opportunities
- Access to information resources on a wide range of career management topics
- Advice and guidance on postgraduate study and funding
- Funding to support student internship opportunities and Student Society/Club events.
We also provide help and advice for Swansea University Alumni up to two years after you graduate.
- 2 Years PSW
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Pass A-Level Chemistry with Grade D.
- If Maths not being studied at AS/A Level then Grade B GCSE Maths required.
Pass BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science with MMM.
- Grade B in GCSE Maths required.
Pass Access to HE (Science) with 27 Merits to include all Chemistry and Maths modules.
- Grade B in GCSE Maths required.
International Qualifications - on a case-by-case basis.
- Non-native English speakers will need to demonstrate IELTS 6.5 (or equivalent).
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 9207 GBP
Application Fee: N/A
- Pure Mathematics, BSc (Hons) at SWANSEA UNIVERSITY
- Philosophy, BA (Hons) at SWANSEA UNIVERSITY
- Mathematics with a Foundation Year, BSc (Hons) at SWANSEA UNIVERSITY
- Mathematics, BSc (Hons) With a Year Abroad/ a Year In Industry at SWANSEA UNIVERSITY
- Mathematics, BSc (Hons) at SWANSEA UNIVERSITY
- Applied Mathematics, BSc (Hons) at SWANSEA UNIVERSITY