Master of Media (Strategic Communication)
Lead and control strategic dialogue
Organisations of all kinds are becoming increasingly media-savvy. Competition for audiences’ attention is ever more intense. The need for keenly targeted and strategically effective communication has never been greater—and demand for highly-skilled professionals with the judgement to lead it across multiple channels is following suit.
What will you do?
Conducted over two years full-time (or 1.5 years for students with a Bachelor in Media, Communications or other relevant field), our new Master of Media (Strategic Communication) will equip you to lead strategic communication planning, management and execution across all key channels: digital and social media, TV, radio and press.
You will graduate with:
significantly enhanced strategic thinking, problem-solving and decision-making abilities
highly advanced skills in creating and tailoring strategic messaging for all key media channels
deep understanding of the principles underlying media relationship-building
awareness of key media channels’ unique consumption drivers
insight into current and forecast global media trends.
You’ll also gain:
opportunities for valuable professional experience and connections through an extended industry placement and ongoing mentoring
high-level skills and understanding in risk and crisis communication and brand messaging.
And you’ll build outstanding research skills by doing a major second-year research project.
Where could it take you?
You’ll graduate with the knowledge, skills and depth of insight to lead strategic communication in any sector, anywhere in the world—from advanced manufacturing to professional services, and NGOs to FMCGs. You’ll be well equipped to guide the achievement of all organisational objectives: marketing, business development, community engagement and positive social change.
The campus provides a mix of the historical and contemporary, combining old sandstone buildings with state-of-the-art teaching, learning and research facilities.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
There are three key steps you will need to take when addressing the selection criteria in any University of Adelaide job application:
- Create a new document. Your statement addressing the position’s specified selection criteria should be separate from your cover letter and resume.
- List each criterion separately. Give each a title, using exactly the same wording as appears on the Position Description (e.g. Excellent verbal communication skills).
- Address each criterion. Under each heading, write two short paragraphs explaining how your experience, skills, education and training equip you to meet that specific requirement. Dot points are also acceptable.
Please note that failing to submit a statement addressing the selection criteria could result in your application not being considered.
Some helpful writing tips
There are a number of steps you can take when putting together your responses to increase their clarity and impact.
- Give details of one or two specific things you’ve done that are good examples of the relevant experience or knowledge required. For example: ‘I was responsible for organising an event attended by… This involved…'
- Preface these examples with a short overview that shows you appreciate the relevance of the specific criterion.
- Quantify your experience (number of years worked, staff supervised, etc.). For example: ‘I delivered a presentation to an industry forum with an audience of 80 people.’
- Where possible, indicate how successfully you meet the criterion. You could do this by referring to feedback from others, or things you've set up that are still being used. For example: ‘A report I wrote about… was endorsed by the… Committee and circulated to all stakeholders for discussion.
You could also consider using the STAR method as a structural framework when describing examples of your work. This involves describing, in the order listed here, the:
- situation you faced
- task required, and desired outcome
- action you took to complete the task
- results you achieved, and lessons you learned.
PR Advisor, Communications Advisor, Wine Marketing, Digital Marketer, Market Research Analyst, Market Researcher, Marketer / Marketing Manager, Marketing Associate, Marketing Planner, Strategist, Communications Analyst, Digital Strategist, Social Media Manager, Social Media Strategist
The additional year of post study work rights is not available to international students studying in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane.
Bachelor Degree or Masters by Coursework Degree - 2 years - 3 years (Adelaide)
Masters by Research - 3 years - 4 years (Adelaide)
PhD qualification - 4 years - 5 years (Adelaide)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Entry to postgraduate coursework programs as a minimum requires a Bachelors degree or equivalent qualification from an approved institution as a qualification for entry.
Some of the graduate certificates and graduate diplomas that are offered may be accepted as qualifying work for entry to a Masters program, or as professional qualifications in their own right.
IELTS Overall 6.5 Reading 6.5 Listening 6.5 Speaking 7 Writing 7
48 Unit Conversion Masters: Bachelor degree or equivalent OR successful completion of the Graduate Diploma in Media (Strategic Communication) OR Successful completion of the Graduate Certificate in Media (Strategic Communication).
36 Unit Extension Masters: Bachelor degree in Media or relevant cognate discipline OR equivalent professional experience. Relevant professional work experience (equivalent of at least 5 years) will be considered in lieu of the academic entry requirements (Bachelor degree in Media or relevant cognate discipline). Applicants must provide a detailed Curriculum Vitae with their application.
- Course Code: 100934
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Master of Philosophy at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Music Therapy at The University of Adelaide
- Master of International Security at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Immersive Media Technologies at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Arts (Studies in Art History) at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Arts (Curatorial & Museum Studies) at The University of Adelaide