Master of Music
Take the next step in your music studies with a program that will enhance your existing knowledge and skills, while teaching you how to improve your creative and intellectual focus.
UQ’s Master of Music incorporates contemporary theory and practice, intensive courses and overseas independent study opportunities. This 1.5 year full-time (or part-time equivalent) program provides you with a variety of pathways to graduation and professional leadership opportunities.
With a flexible study program customised to your individual career goals, you can diversify and extend your existing professional practice. Select courses according to your interests as you deepen and broaden your learning in areas such as performance, conducting and music theory, education, technology and composition.
You'll complete core courses in research methods, and a research thesis or a professional engagement project, according to your interests. You'll also select from a range of advanced elective courses, including practical studies of your instrument, choral and instrumental conducting, composition, advanced music theory and music technology.
And if you want to pursue further research studies, UQ also provides research-intensive pathways for Masters graduates.
- Undertake advanced study designed for music educators, administrators, community musicians, composers, performers and researchers.
- Complete core courses in research methods and a research thesis, or a professional engagement project.
- Benefit from intensive courses and overseas independent study opportunities.
- Take advantage of research-focused pathways to pursue a Higher Degree by Research.
Situated on 114 hectares of Brisbane River-bound land, UQ’s main campus is a vibrant mix of majestic sandstone buildings and contemporary architecture, landscaped gardens and lakes. Fanning out from the heritage-listed Great Court, you’ll find modern teaching and research facilities, including laboratories, lecture theatres, and Queensland’s largest research library. The expansive grounds are also home to a variety of sporting facilities, museums, cafes, and those famous Jacaranda trees. The St Lucia campus is only seven kilometres from Brisbane’s city centre, making it an appealing place to study, work or visit.
- Feb Deadline: Nov
Application Processing Time in Days: 28
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Postgraduate study can take you anywhere. Here are some of the careers you could be on your way to:
- Head of music
- Music therapist
- Vocal performer
- Instrumental performer
- Music school coordinator
- Music program director
- Music researcher
- Instrument teacher
2 years of Post-Study Work (PSW) rights to international students post completion of their respective Postgraduate.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
It's possible to complete this degree in 1.5 years or 1 year depending on your qualifications and experience.
You can apply for any duration as long as you meet the entry requirements. You may also be eligible to apply for credit or exemptions to shorten your degree further. You'll graduate with the same qualification no matter how long you take to complete the degree.
1.5-year degree (24 units of study)
To be eligible to complete the degree in 1.5 years full-time (only available as full-time study), you'll need:
- a bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline (see below), or
- the Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma in Music from this university*.
You must have a grade point average (GPA) of 4.0 on a 7-point scale in your previous qualification.
* Please note if the Graduate Certificate is used as the basis of entry into the program you will not be eligible for credit towards the Master's program.
Relevant disciplines for previous qualifications
Relevant disciplines include studies in performance, composition, musicology, or music education*.
*For the field of music education, a degree qualifying a person to become a classroom music teacher satisfies the requirement.
You must have completed at least a major, field of study, or approximately 30% of program content in the discipline, including a mix of introductory and advanced courses.
- Course Code: 073762J
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year 06 Month
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Master of Urban Development and Design at The University of Queensland
- Master of Writing, Editing and Publishing (MWEP) at The University of Queensland
- Master of Writing, Editing and Publishing at The University of Queensland
- Master of Urban and Regional Planning (MURP) at The University of Queensland
- Master of Music at The University of Queensland
- Master of Museum Studies at The University of Queensland