Master of Arts (Research) in Humanities and Social Sciences
The Master of Arts (Research) in Humanities and Social Sciences provides an opportunity for graduates to develop their research skills, deepen their knowledge in an area of the social sciences or humanities and undertake some original research. The degree is awarded to candidates who, through original investigation, make a distinct and significant contribution to knowledge in their field of specialisation.
This research degree is undertaken wholly or mainly by thesis. A master's thesis is normally a work of 30,000–40,000 words.
While the usual master's thesis is written in dissertation style, candidates may, if they wish, illustrate their argument by submitting creative work together with a written dissertation. The non-traditional material is considered a minor component of the thesis and is equivalent to a maximum of 15,000 words. Applicants should contact the research degrees administrator for further information about non-traditional formats for thesis presentation.
As a City campus, UTS not only offers a range of great services and facilities across our buildings, but across our vibrant, local precinct. For a snapshot of everything our campus and precinct has to offer - including where all the cafes are at UTS
- March Deadline: May
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
The research degrees offered by the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences are especially valuable for those wishing to pursue an academic career, a career in research or an advanced level of professional practice.
Post-Study Work (PSW)
- bachelor degree (including honours): 2 years*
- masters by coursework: 2 years*
- masters by research: 3 years
- doctoral degree: 4 years
* for international students completing Bachelors and Masters degrees (minimum 92 weeks)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised bachelor's degree, or an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate research studies.
- Selection criteria also include the quality of the research proposal, the faculty's ability to offer appropriate supervision in the applicant's chosen field, and, where necessary, demonstration of generic technical skills.
- The English proficiency requirement for international students or local applicants with international qualifications is:
- Academic IELTS: 7.0 overall with a writing score of 7.0; or
- TOEFL: paper based: 584-609 overall with TWE of 5.0, internet based: 94-101 overall with a writing score of 27; or
- AE6: Pass; or
- PTE: 65-72; or
- CAE: 185-190.
- Course Code: 014624G
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Master of Mathematics and Quantitative Finance at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Indigenous Health (Research) at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Speech and Language Sciences (Research) at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Transdisciplinary Innovation (Research) at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Speech Pathology at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Medical Biotechnology (Extension) at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)