Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science/Bachelor of Nutrition Science
This combined degree gives you the opportunity to study two complementary fields and understand how the whole athlete works, as well as the fuel required to enable them to perform at their best. You will have the opportunity to participate in a minimum of 220 hours of invaluable practical experience and benefit from career mentoring, setting you apart from other graduates.
Offered by the #1 ranked sports science school in Australia, exercise and sports science at Deakin give you a nationally recognized, field-leading education in improving the performance, health, and participation of individuals and teams. Complementing this, the nutrition science component of this combined course gives you an understanding of the nature of food and the importance of nutrition for individual and population health. Open the door to a wide range of career opportunities when you combine a drive for exercise and sport with a passion for food and nutrition.
Want to graduate with the knowledge and skills to become an expert in elite athlete preparation?
Exercise and sport science at Deakin gives you the expertise to become a professional leader in the field and gain a comprehensive understanding of the biology, technology, behavior, and best practices that underpin exercise and sport science.
You will have the opportunity to participate in two sports industry practical experiences during this course. In the second year, students complete 80 hours of practical experience in Exercise Programming. The Exercise and Sports Science Practicum in your final year offers a minimum of 140 hours of practical experience.
Additionally, you can choose to study the Food and Nutrition Practicum in your final year, giving you a further 100 hours of practical food or nutrition industry experience.
The Melbourne Burwood Campus is Deakin’s largest. A short trip from Melbourne’s central business district, Burwood offers the perfect balance between city lifestyle and suburban comfort. On campus you will find impressive buildings and world-class facilities, a wide range of learning and social spaces, and a relaxed atmosphere. If you enjoy getting outdoors between classes, the Melbourne Burwood Campus also sits alongside parkland, which is great for walking, jogging and cycling.
Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
At Deakin’s Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus, you are surrounded by expansive grounds and impressive new buildings. It offers state-of-the-art engineering, medical and sport facilities, as well as some of the most advanced research spaces in the world. The campus also features incredible sporting facilities, including Deakin’s Elite Sport Precinct, which includes an Australian rules football oval, FIFA-grade soccer pitch, athletics track, basketball courts, and more.
Application Processing Time in Days: 5
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
As well as typical roles in the sport, exercise, coaching, and fitness industries, you may pursue employment in:
- sports administration
- facility management
- community health and wellness
- sports science.
Other employment opportunities include:
- elite, professional sporting clubs
- local and state government agencies
- professional sporting bodies
- local and community sporting clubs
- hospital and rehabilitation clinics
- fitness and aquatic centers
- private health and recreation centers
- large business organizations in corporate health.
You will also be well prepared for a nutrition-focused career and can work in areas in the nutrition and food industry such as::
- food analysis
- food manufacturing
- food quality and safety
- food laboratories and research institutes
- food policy and regulation
- food wholesale and retail
- individual and population health
- nutrition research and education
- public health nutrition
- community nutrition
- consumer education and awareness campaigns
- nutrition and agribusiness
- product development
- sensory analysis
- Melbourne Campus - 2 years of Post Study Work Permit
- Geelong/ Warrnambool Campus - 3 years of Post Study Work Permit
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- (standard class XII) 65%
Mandatory student checks
Any unit which contains work-integrated learning, a community placement, or interaction with the community may require a police check, Working with Children Check, or another check.
When you apply to Deakin, it’s important to attach all requested supporting documentation, otherwise, your application could be delayed or disallowed.
Remember, most documents need to be certified before you upload them, so give yourself plenty of time to get organized.
Examples of certified copies you’ll need to include:
- award certificates
- academic transcripts
- formal identity papers (e.g. your passport).
Documents in languages other than English will need to be translated. If you’re applying for a scholarship, please also check the specific supporting documents for that application.
- Course Code: 098564J
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Marine Science at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Public Health and Health Promotion (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Health Sciences/Bachelor of Arts at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Health Sciences (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Forensic Science/Bachelor of Criminology at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) at Deakin University