Master of Chemical Engineering
Gain the chemical engineering skills to design and implement industrial-scale processes that convert raw materials into valuable products we use every day at Australia’s leading university*. Join the ranks of engineers working on cleaner biofuels, water and targeted drug delivery.
* Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023
Choose your path
Once you’ve started studying, you can specialise in ‘Business’, ‘Materials and Minerals’ or ‘Sustainability and Environment’, or continue without specialising.
Learn from world leading experts
Be inspired by experts in nanotechnology, carbon capture and storage and bioengineering. More than just teachers, your lecturers have worked on diverse projects from bioremediation to keep Antarctica clean to cancer treatments using nanoscale targeted drug delivery.
Our Parkville campus is a city within a city. With cafes, 12 libraries, gyms, specialty stores, a small supermarket, and even a seasonal farmers market, you’ll never have to leave. The Parkville campus is situated within a renowned knowledge precinct, which includes eight hospitals, many leading research institutes and a wide range of knowledge-based industries.
Application Processing Time in Days: 90
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
As a chemical engineer, you could work in a diverse range of industries, such as petrochemicals, minerals processing, mining, pharmaceutical, chemical manufacturing, natural gas and environmental consulting.
- Chemical Engineer
- Development Chemist
- Operations Analyst
- Process Engineer
- Quality Control Engineer
- R&D Scientist
- Project Engineer
- Control System Engineer
- Production Engineer
- Facilities Engineer
- Technical Development Engineer
- Supply Engineer
- 2 years PSW
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
The Master of Chemical Engineering is offered as either a 2-year or 3-year program, depending upon your prior qualifications.
1. Prior qualification: an engineering major from the University of Melbourne
If you hold the following engineering pathway degree from the University of Melbourne, with a weighted average mark of at least 65%, you will be eligible to enter the 2-year program:
- Bachelor of Science with a Chemical Engineering Systems major.
2. Prior qualification: an engineering degree or major
If you hold an engineering degree or major in an equivalent specialisation from another institution, with a weighted average mark of at least 65%, or equivalent, you may be eligible to receive credit for up to one year and enter the 2-year program. Exact credit can only be determined on application.
See Credit for prior studies below for more information.
3. Prior qualification: any undergraduate degree
You will be eligible to enter the 3-year program if you hold any undergraduate degree with:
- The equivalent of 25 points (two subjects) of first year Mathematics, specifically Calculus 2 and Linear Algebra.
- The equivalent of 25 points (two subjects) of first year Chemistry, specifically Chemistry 1 and Chemistry 2.
- A weighted average mark of at least 65%, or equivalent*.
Don’t have a prerequisite subject?
The University’s Community Access Program allows you to undertake single-subject study without being enrolled in a course. You can complete prerequisite subjects that you need to qualify for entry via the Community Access Program and then apply for this course.
Credit for prior studies (advanced standing)
To enable credit to be assessed, students who have graduated from an institution other than the University of Melbourne must supply an official syllabus or subject description of all technical subjects studied at their previous institution of study.
- Course Code: 106104M
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Master of Philosophy - Engineering and IT at University of Melbourne
- Master of Civil Engineering at University of Melbourne
- Master of Digital Infrastructure Engineering at University of Melbourne
- Master of Electrical Engineering at University of Melbourne
- Master of Environmental Systems Engineering at University of Melbourne
- Master of Mechanical Engineering at University of Melbourne