Master of Psychology (Clinical)
The Master of Psychology (Clinical) degree at ACU is a two year postgraduate course consisting of academic coursework, practical training in assessment, diagnosis and intervention, and completion of a research project.
Successful completion of the course allows registration as a general psychologist and upon completion of an additional period of supervised practice, for area of practice endorsement in clinical psychology with The Psychology Board of Australia.
Combined Master of Psychology (Clinical) and Doctor of Philosophy:
ACU also offers the Master of Psychology (Clinical)/Doctor of Philosophy which combines professional training within clinical psychology with a research Doctor of Philosophy (PhD).
Students interested in this combined degree must first apply for and complete one year of the Master of Psychology (Clinical). During this year they should consult with their course coordinator to determine their eligibility for the combined degree.
Inherent requirements ensure the academic integrity of a course is maintained and preserves the university's learning, assessment, and accreditation processes. They must be met by all students.
There are essential components of a course or unit that demonstrate the capabilities, knowledge, and skills to achieve the core learning outcomes of the course or unit.
- compliance with the policies, procedures and regulations which are applicable to all students at ACU.
- the mandatory requirements associated with the course of study, eg attendance, completion of assignments.
115 Victoria Parade, Fitzroy Vic 3065 Locked Bag 4115, Fitzroy MDC Fitzroy Vic 3065
25A Barker Road, Strathfield NSW 2135 Locked Bag 2002, Strathfield NSW 2135
- Feb Deadline: Sep
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Graduates will be well-prepared for work as practitioner psychologists and skilled researchers who work with individuals, families, groups and organisations in a range of institutions and agencies providing psychological and mental health services. Clinical psychologists often work in hospitals, health care centres, community mental health teams, private practice, or academic settings.
- 2 years PSW for Melbourne
- 3 years PSW for Strathfield
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for admission to the course, an applicant must have completed the following prerequisites:
- A Bachelor degree with honours in accredited psychology course with minimum of IIA honours completed in the last 10 years;
- a Bachelor degree with accredited four year major study in psychology completed in the last 10 years;
- a Bachelor degree with accredited three year major study in psychology and satisfactory completion of an additional year of accredited study in psychology, or equivalent, with an overall mark equivalent to IIA Honours; OR
- qualifications and experience assessed as equivalent by the selection committee;
- demonstrated suitability to undertake the course as evidenced by satisfactory:
>> academic referee report;
>> professional referee report; AND
- for short-listed candidates, interview with the selection committee;
- be eligible for registration with the Psychology Board of Australia as a conditional/provisional psychologist.
If the Bachelor's degree was completed outside of Australia, applicants must seek an ‘Assessment of Overseas Qualifications’ from the Australian Psychological Society (APS) to confirm that it is equivalent to an Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC) accredited three-year sequence in psychology. Evidence of this must be submitted with the application.
Applicants must also comply with the Admission to Coursework Programs Policy and require an academic IELTS minimum overall score of 7.0 (with a minimum score of 7.0 in all bands).
Other prerequisites to undertaking this course
Please note that Inherent Requirements, i.e. the abilities, knowledge, and skills needed to complete this course that needs to be met by all students, have been developed for this course. For further information please visit the Inherent Requirements for Psychology courses webpage.
- Course Code: 084338A
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Master of Leadership and Management in Health Care at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Master of Professional Psychology at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Master of Rehabilitation at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Master of Health Administration at Australian Catholic University (ACU)