Climate Change Finance and Investment MSc
Please note: this MSc was previously known as Carbon Finance, but has been renamed to better reflect the content of the programme.
The challenge of responding and adapting to climate change will drive trillions of dollars of new investment over the coming decades, with major changes required across the economy, in energy production and consumption, industry, buildings, transport, infrastructure, forests and agriculture.
Delivering this investment will require professionals with a deep understanding of the mechanisms that will regulate new financial flows like:
- renewable investment funds
- international climate funds
- carbon markets
In addition, following the Paris Agreement, both developed and developing countries now have increased commitments for addressing climate change, which is driving increased demand for skills and knowledge in carbon and climate finance.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Graduates from the MSc in Climate Change Finance and Investment will typically pursue a career in climate change investment, carbon markets, consulting or carbon accounting.
Likely future roles include:
- carbon credit development
- low carbon portfolio management
- renewable energy investment
- climate fund management
- carbon trading
- carbon consulting
- carbon accounting and related policy or regulatory roles (for example, with government or NGOs)
- 2 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Entrance to our MSc programmes is strongly competitive. You can increase your chances of a successful application by exceeding the minimum programme requirements.
You will need a UK first-class or 2:1 honours degree from a good university in one of the subjects below, or its international equivalent.
An undergraduate degree in business, economics, engineering or a social or physical science is normally required.
Supporting your application
Relevant work experience is not required but may increase your chances of acceptance.
Preference will be given to those with grades above the minimum requirements due to strong competition for places on this programme.
If you do not meet the minimum academic requirement, you may still be considered if you have 2 or more years of relevant work experience. We may require you to complete the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) which is an internationally recognised assessment of analytical, numerical and verbal reasoning.
If we require you to take the GMAT, we would require a score of 600 as a minimum to qualify for our Climate Change Finance and Investment MSc. The GMAT is not a compulsory part of the application process, but if you have a score that you wish to report to us then this would be welcomed.
We will accept results from the GMAT Online exam.
Postgraduate entry requirements for students from India.
In order to qualify for entry to master’s study at the University of Edinburgh, you must have a good degree from a highly ranked university in India.
- Entry requirements will vary, depending on the intended programme of study. However, the minimum score you should have achieved is 60% or more in your Bachelor's study.
- We may also accept equivalent qualifications or work experience.
- Applicants who meet this minimum may be considered for entry and will be measured competitively against other applicants. For many of our programmes, competition is high and in the majority of cases, a very high First Class degree will be required. Certain programmes will also have specific requirements in terms of both the overall degree result and strengths in particular subjects which are seen as relevant to that degree.
Graduate entry to Medicine (MBChB)
Applicants with an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline will be considered for the 6 year programme.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 9207 GBP
Application Fee: N/A
- MA Accounting and Finance at The University of Edinburgh
- MBA at The University of Edinburgh
- Finance, Technology and Policy MSc at The University of Edinburgh
- Finance MSc at The University of Edinburgh
- Sport Policy, Management and International Development MSc at The University of Edinburgh
- Marketing and Business Analysis MSc at The University of Edinburgh