Master of Advanced Journalism (Extension)
The Master of Advanced Journalism (Extension) is designed to meet the needs of mid-career journalists and graduates seeking a career change. It is a highly industry-focused course that equips students with deep knowledge of journalism, technical skills and the adaptive capacities needed in the current digital dominated media environment. Students who successfully complete the course have current, and forward-looking skills that allow them to operate in digital newsrooms and on other digital facing programs.
Class seminars are conducted by journalism professionals and academics. Students gain hands on reporting, editing and other production experience with the opportunity to learn in a state-of-the-art 'live' newsroom under the tutelage of a highly experienced multimedia producer.
Students are exposed to the latest journalistic trends, discussion of the digital changes changing the industry and state-of-the-art technical training. In addition to in-seminar training, students work on publishable journalism. They have the opportunity to learn about and discuss emerging areas of journalistic practice with lecturers who have been at the forefront of change, and work with leading practitioners of investigative, sport and entrepreneurial journalism.
As a City campus, UTS not only offers a range of great services and facilities across our buildings, but across our vibrant, local precinct. For a snapshot of everything our campus and precinct has to offer - including where all the cafes are at UTS
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Career options include reporter, producer, presenter and editor across all types of private and public media, broadcast and publishing organisations including digital start-ups, the not-for-profit sector and non-media publishers.
- ?2 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised bachelor's degree,
- an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate studies.
- a CV
- an example of their professional work, which includes:
- links to or the text of any journalistic work, or
- links to the applicant's own website, blogposts or published essays and opinion articles, or
- storytelling forms that include short stories, essays, and short documentary style audio and video recordings.
If none of the above is available, applicants may provide a short essay of no more than 1000 words about key challenges facing journalism and the news media industry.
Minimum English Language Requirements
- Academic IELTS: 7.0 overall with a writing score of 6.5;
- TOEFL: TOEFL: paper based: 584-609 overall, internet based: 94-101 overall with a writing score of 24;
- AE6: Pass;
- PTE: PTE: 65-72 overall with a writing score 58;
- CAE: 185-190 with a writing score 176.
- Course Code: 099639J
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Master of Strategic Communication at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Media Practice and Industry at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Professional Practice at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Animation and Visualisation at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Interaction Design at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Interaction Design (Extension) at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)