PhD in Nursing & Midwifery
Become a leading researcher and contribute positive changes to health care, health policy, and our communities through your PhD in Nursing & Midwifery.
PhD in Nursing & Midwifery at VU
Studying towards a doctoral degree in nursing and midwifery lets you explore, in-depth, an area that interests you. You’ll learn best-practice research methods, and complete an original thesis at the forefront of its field.
In the Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) assessment, our nursing research was ranked ‘well above’ world standard. We support PhD research in the community, clinical practice, education and policy. We have connections with community, medical and government organisations – for real-world research opportunities.
You’ll graduate with the high-level skills to collect and analyse evidence. You’ll learn to present your findings clearly and effectively – in your thesis, journals and public presentations. Career opportunities include working in healthcare management, academia, government or community settings.
St Albans Campus
Our St Albans Campus is a hub for health and nutrition research. It also specialises in arts and science programs. Our nursing and biomedical science students complete a large part of their studies at the new teaching and research centre at Sunshine Hospital alongside medical professionals. The campus has a modern community feel and is set in gardens of native grasses and gum trees. It’s a relaxed, friendly place to study, with a children’s centre, a gym, and award-winning architecture.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Following your PhD, you’ll be ready for a management or research career in health care, government or community, or to become an academic. There are currently large demands for nurse educators and managers (HealthTimes(external link)).
Possible job titles following this PhD include:
- nursing manager
- nursing educator
- clinical nurse specialist
- policy adviser.
- 4 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Master’s degree with thesis;
- admissible bachelor degree Completed with a degree classification (as awarded on degree certificate) of first Division with Distinction (70%).
English Language Requirement
- Achieved an IELTS, (Academic Module) result with an overall score of 6.5 (no band less than 6) or equivalent and completed a Masters degree or a relevant four year undergraduate degree with Honours or its equivalent at a high standard.
- Course Code: 084116D
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Doctoral Degree/PhD
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Doctor of Philosophy at Victoria University
- Doctor of Philosophy (Integrated) at Victoria University
- PhD in Food Sciences & Technology (Integrated) at Victoria University
- PhD in Human Movement (Integrated) at Victoria University
- PhD in Medical & Biological Science (Integrated) at Victoria University
- PhD in Nursing & Midwifery (Integrated) at Victoria University