PhD in Economics (Doctor of Philosophy)
Aim for a career shaping public policy, or contributing to important social and financial research, with a PhD in Economics from VU.
PhD in Economics program at VU
VU offers world-class research opportunities in the public and private space.
We have collaborations with:
- World Health Organization
- China Energy Research Institute
- Department of State Development, Business and Innovation
- Bushfire CRC
- Central University of Finance and Economics (China).
We start by equipping you with best-practice, ethical research methods – including data collection and analysis. You’ll then undertake your own original study in one of our research focus areas. Throughout, you’ll have the support of an experienced supervisory team, who will ensure your research is at the forefront of the discipline.
You’ll present your findings as a thesis, and learn skills in public presentation, journal articles and other publications.
City Flinders Campus is a modern building in the centre of Melbourne’s busy central business district (CBD) You could be studying courses as diverse as osteopathy and business at this campus. It is opposite Melbourne’s grand Flinders Street Station, the Yarra River and the Southbank precinct. The campus is a perfect location for transport, shopping, food and cafes, or to hold a special event at our our Convention Centre.
Footscray Park Campus is next to parklands along the Maribyrnong River, a short walk from Footscray Station. Footscray is one of Melbourne’s multicultural hubs, only 10 minutes by train from the city. The campus has restaurants and cafes, learning commons, world-class sports science facilities, a bookshop, and a pool and gym. It hosts many of our degree and postgraduate courses, including in business, sport, youth and community work, science, engineering and education.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Following your PhD, you’ll be ready for a research or advisory career in business or government, or to become an academic. These are usually high-level roles, and paid accordingly.
We offer industry connections to begin your career in these areas:
- population growth
- 4 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Master’s degree with thesis;
- admissible bachelor degree Completed with a degree classification (as awarded on degree certificate) of first Division with Distinction (70%).
English Language Requirement
- Achieved an IELTS, (Academic Module) result with an overall score of 6.5 (no band less than 6) or equivalent and completed a Masters degree or a relevant four year undergraduate degree with Honours or its equivalent at a high standard.
- Course Code: 084119A
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Doctoral Degree/PhD
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A