Graduate Diploma in Bioinformatics
Bioinformatics is a still new science. It exists at the nexus of biological research, statistics and software engineering.
Thanks to fast-evolving technology and advances in genomics and proteomics, bioinformatics is developing at lightning speed.
What will you do?
Our Graduate Diploma in Bioinformatics covers core aspects of the field. You will:
practise a range of approaches to managing, analysing and interpreting biological data
explore DNA sequencing systems and statistical modelling
pursue electives according to your interests and career goals
gain competitive research and project management skills.
If you have recognised prior learning, you can also extend your studies into areas such as advanced algorithms, analysis of 'big data' and IT commercialisation.
Where could it take you?
This program might meet your professional development needs by itself or act as a first step towards the Master of Bioinformatics. As a bioinformatics specialist you could design complex databases or look at ways to accelerate and improve the growth of food crops. You might analyse how alternative medicines alter gene expression in cancers. Perhaps you’ll design new methods for detecting disease or food allergens.
The campus provides a mix of the historical and contemporary, combining old sandstone buildings with state-of-the-art teaching, learning and research facilities.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
There are three key steps you will need to take when addressing the selection criteria in any University of Adelaide job application:
- Create a new document. Your statement addressing the position’s specified selection criteria should be separate from your cover letter and resume.
- List each criterion separately. Give each a title, using exactly the same wording as appears on the Position Description (e.g. Excellent verbal communication skills).
- Address each criterion. Under each heading, write two short paragraphs explaining how your experience, skills, education and training equip you to meet that specific requirement. Dot points are also acceptable.
Please note that failing to submit a statement addressing the selection criteria could result in your application not being considered.
Some helpful writing tips
There are a number of steps you can take when putting together your responses to increase their clarity and impact.
- Give details of one or two specific things you’ve done that are good examples of the relevant experience or knowledge required. For example: ‘I was responsible for organising an event attended by… This involved…'
- Preface these examples with a short overview that shows you appreciate the relevance of the specific criterion.
- Quantify your experience (number of years worked, staff supervised, etc.). For example: ‘I delivered a presentation to an industry forum with an audience of 80 people.’
- Where possible, indicate how successfully you meet the criterion. You could do this by referring to feedback from others, or things you've set up that are still being used. For example: ‘A report I wrote about… was endorsed by the… Committee and circulated to all stakeholders for discussion.
You could also consider using the STAR method as a structural framework when describing examples of your work. This involves describing, in the order listed here, the:
- situation you faced
- task required, and desired outcome
- action you took to complete the task
- results you achieved, and lessons you learned.
Future Trader, Bioinformatician
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Entry to postgraduate coursework programs as a minimum requires a Bachelors degree or equivalent qualification from an approved institution as a qualification for entry.
Some of the graduate certificates and graduate diplomas that are offered may be accepted as qualifying work for entry to a Masters program, or as professional qualifications in their own right.
IELTS Overall 6.5 Reading 6.5 Listening 6.5 Speaking 7 Writing 7
- Course Code: 092946K
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Post Graduate Diploma or Certificate
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Graduate Diploma in Science (Ecotourism) at The University of Adelaide
- Graduate Diploma in Science at The University of Adelaide
- Graduate Certificate in Science at The University of Adelaide
- Graduate Diploma in Forensic Odontology at The University of Adelaide
- Graduate Diploma in Viticulture and Oenology at The University of Adelaide
- Graduate Diploma in Viticulture at The University of Adelaide