Bachelor of Dermal Sciences
Enter a new and exciting industry with a Dermal Sciences degree at VU. Graduates provide competent, efficient and compassionate clinical care in the dermal profession.
This course helps you develop a comprehensive foundation knowledge in all areas of dermal science. You will learn the skills to perform safe and effective dermal treatments.
Dermal procedures covered include:
- laser and light based treatments
- resurfacing procedures
- lymphatic procedures.
You will also learn how to provide pre and post-operative care for clients who have undergone plastic, reconstructive and cosmetic procedures.
During the course you will undertake clinical training in a variety of settings. You will learn to identify, evaluate and manage the physical, psychological and social needs of clients undergoing dermal assessment and treatment for conditions such as:
- wound healing
- pre/post-operative skin care
- fluid retention
- inflammatory conditions
- skin conditions such as acne, psoriasis and rosacea
- uneven skin tone and pigmentation
- ageing or sun damaged skin
- removal of excess hair, tattoos, skin tags and leg veins.
The Dermal Sciences degree also provides a seamless transition from Vocational Education (TAFE) into the Higher Education qualification. It gives qualified beauty therapists the opportunity to establish and develop knowledge and skills in advanced dermal therapy treatments, and receive additional training such as para-medical dermal care.
The City Queen Campus is made up of two main heritage buildings in the heart of Melbourne's legal precinct, and two smaller buildings. It has the Victoria Law School, Law Library and moot courts
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
The dermal therapies industry is growing rapidly as consumer demand increases. In response, our course is designed in collaboration with industry and the Australian Society of Dermal Clinicians to include the latest technological developments, theory and hands-on experience to ensure you’re work ready.
- Dermal therapist
- Dermal clinician.
ORGANISATIONS EMPLOYING DERMAL THERAPY GRADUATES
Dermal Therapists can work independently or hand-in-hand with reconstructive and aesthetic surgeons, dermatologists and general practitioners in clinics, medical practices, advanced beauty and cosmetic settings.
Potential career opportunities include:
- Working in plastic, cosmetic and dermatology medical practices
- Working in dermal therapies clinics, performing aesthetic medical treatments, such as laser, on clients
- Work together with plastic and cosmetic surgeons as well as other healthcare and allied health professionals to enhance aesthetic outcomes in areas like cosmetic, plastic and re-constructive surgery
- Work in the vocational education sector as beauty educators
- Conducting training for medical aesthetic companies.
- 2 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Completion of an Australian Senior Secondary Certificate (VCE or equivalent) including Units 3 and 4:
- a study score of at least 25 in English (EAL) or 20 in any other English (or equivalent).
- Completion of an Australian Advanced Diploma or Diploma (or equivalent).
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT
- IELTS (or equivalent): Overall score or 6.0 (with no band less than 6.0 in Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking).
- Completion of a Foundation course or equivalent.
- Course Code: 092158E
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Sport Science (Human Movement) / Bachelor of Sport Management at Victoria University
- Bachelor of Sport Science (Human Movement) / Bachelor of Psychological Studies at Victoria University
- Bachelor of Sport Science at Victoria University
- Bachelor of Sport Management / Bachelor of Business at Victoria University
- Bachelor of Sport Management at Victoria University
- Bachelor of Science (Osteopathy) at Victoria University