Bachelor of Science in Meteorology & Atmospheric Science
Students work in forecasting of weather and climate. They assess the influence of weather and climate on public health, agriculture, engineering, industry, commerce and national defense. Classroom teaching and forecasting activities are enhanced by the new digital Weather Wall which allows for real-time forecasting and analyses of weather and climate patterns on a large (16 x 5 ft) high-resolution display.
UMass Lowell is located in historic mill city of Lowell, Mass., 45-minutes north of Boston, at the intersections of Routes 495, 93 and 3. The birthplace of Jack Kerouac and the Industrial Revolution, Lowell's history echoes all around you. Former mill buildings and cobblestone streets now add charm to a bustling downtown, steps away from the UMass Lowell campus, which boasts a thriving arts scene, a population rich in cultural diversity, and a flair for festivals.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Students majoring in Meteorology & Atmospheric Science prepare for a variety of careers in the private, public, and non-profit sector.
Graduates are employed by commercial aviation companies, private consulting firms, agencies of the federal government (such as the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the National Weather Service, and the Department of Defense) as well as agencies of state and local governments.
3 Years of PSW
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
First-year students entering in fall 2018 had an average GPA of 3.59 and an average combined Evidence Based Reading and Math SAT score of 1239 (ACT equivalent 26). Along with all other public universities and colleges in the Massachusetts system, UMass Lowell is not using the Writing Score.
Admissions counselors and policy makers are sensitive to the factors that may result in accomplished students having a lower-than-expected GPA or SAT score. The applications of students who don’t meet the standards, but for whom UMass Lowell otherwise seems like a good match, are reviewed individually.
- You are considered a freshman if you have not taken any post-secondary/college coursework. Your application should include your high school or secondary school records, including results from culminating or leaving examinations. Scores from the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) of the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) or the American College Test (ACT) will be required, along with an essay and a letter of recommendation. The CEEB code number for UMass Lowell is 3911. There is also a no-test option for available to freshmen applicants.
- International freshman applicants may use the no-test option and waive the SAT or ACT and TOEFL or IELTS exams if your secondary institution provides written verification that the means of instruction is in English, you are enrolled in an IB curriculum, attend an American School or are enrolled in a curriculum that leads to Cambridge International Examinations: IGCSE/O-Level and GCE/A level exam. Please note that additional essays are required of freshman applicants who choose the no-test option.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 12000 USD
Application Fee: 60 USD
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Bachelor of Science in Physics at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science - Geoscience at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science at University of Massachusetts Lowell